Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Bardwell shares experience on past A.W.O.L trip to Costa Rica

Kiley Wellendorf | News Co-Editor

Buena Vista University (BVU) will be entering Spring Break on March 21. While students’ plans vary from working to vacationing while away from campus – Alternative Week of Off-Site Learning (A.W.O.L.) offers a unique twist for students. A.W.O.L. is BVU’s alternative spring-break program, a program that allows students to fill out an application and apply for a specific trip that suits their volunteering interest.

Logan Bardwell, a sophomore double-majoring in Marketing and Spanish, had the opportunity to attend an environmental awareness trip in Costa Rica in the Osa peninsula. Bardwell’s trip involved working hands-on with a sea turtle research location, which allowed A.W.O.L. members to jump into ocean set nets, catch turtles, take measurements, and also release the turtles back into the ocean.

“It was a once in a lifetime experience I will never forget,” Bardwell said, “Especially the first time I lifted one of the green turtles. It was a behemoth and it just slapped me with its flipper countless times.”

Bardwell was able to obtain this experience through an application process where he was selected by Ashley-Farmer Hanson and her staff of faculty site leaders. The trip is planned amongst Farmer-Hanson and the staff, and once all of the details are finalized the application process begins. Bardwell was selected because his application was best suited for this specific trip.

“I remember not knowing much about my group members, and by the end of the trip, I had laughed with them, cried with them, and pretty much considered them family,” Bardwell said.

Along with working alongside sea-turtles, Bardwell’s group also worked with a local school, where they helped children learn English and cleaned up the school by moving around playground equipment and planting a garden. One of his favorite moments, however, was getting the chance to talk amongst his group members in nightly meetings, and also having the ability to explore different aspects of Costa Rica.

“It was fantastic. Whether we were out swimming in the ocean, sitting around the table playing cards, or going to the local restaurant and trying to learn how to salsa dance,” Bardwell said, “And believe me, I learned really quickly how terrible of a dancer I was.”

While this is Bardwell’s only trip with A.W.O.L., he would like to go on another, and even take on a leadership role within the group.

“The best thing I could say about A.W.O.L. was that it awoke a passion in me that I didn’t know was there. It is a great alternative way to spending your Spring Break making a difference,” Bardwell said, “You will discover there is no greater feeling than hearing a heartfelt thank you from someone you helped that genuinely needed it.”

This Spring Break, A.W.O.L. will be embarking on two mystery trips, as well as a trip to Kanab, Utah, and also a trip down to New Orleans.

Photos courtesy of A.W.O.L.