Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

What’s It Like? To Volunteer with Student M.O.V.E

Meredith Van Zuiden | Assistant Arts + Life Editor

Most of us have taken it upon ourselves to volunteer from time to time, may it be at your church, school, or in the community. Donating your time to people in need not only impacts those you are helping, but in the long run can enhance your gratitude for the simple things in life. Student M.O.V.E strives to make impacts not only on campus, but also in the Storm Lake community through service opportunities.

What exactly is Student M.O.V.E? Student M.O.V.E. (Mobilizing Outreach & Volunteer Efforts) is a student advisory board to the office of civic engagement and organizes service opportunities on and off campus.

Dr. Ashley Farmer Hanson, Director of Civic Engagement and the Advisor of Student M.O.V.E., explains why students should get involved with Student M.O.V.E. activities.

“To get exposed to a variety of different service opportunities available in the community, it’s easy to get stuck on campus and not recognize the world around you. I think it’s really cool that we are able to recognize that yes there is a need but there is a way we can solve it together. M.O.V.E. is a great way to empower students to figure out how they can solve their community needs and eventually leave Buena Vista and be community changers,” Farmer Hanson said.

Recently Student M.O.V.E. took part in Blanket for Charity organized by senior Nichole Wiese, who has held the title Vice President of service events for her second year now.

“The purpose of Blanket for Charity is to donate tie blankets to the Bridge where those in need can receive a warm blanket for this coming winter,” Wiese said.

As a sophomore this is Cristena Heschke’s first year as Vice President of Service Events.

“I had many classes with Nichole and, she encouraged me to apply for M.O.V.E.,” Heschke said. “I enjoy organizing things and M.O.V.E. seemed like the best way to give back to the community.”

Senior Sydney Crnkovich speaks about volunteering with Student M.O.V.E. and all of the opportunities that are available.

“I do like volunteering with Student M.O.V.E., the feeling afterwards makes you feel like you did something productive and meaningful,” Crnkovich said. “Being a senior I wish I had gotten more involved a lot sooner because I get to meet new people at these events and its all for a great cause.”

Blanket for Charity is having another event this Tuesday, September 22nd starting at 6pm in the Underground. If you have any questions about volunteer opportunities with Student M.O.V.E., contact Ashley Farmer Hanson.

https://www.bvu.edu/bv/community-service/student-move.dot

Graphic by Justice Gage
Photos by Jasmine Bautista