But I didn’t do it: P/W community damages

Samantha Hirschman | Staff Writer

On Monday, February 15, all residents of Pierce-White (P/W), myself included, were sent an email telling us that we will be charged if no one fesses up to the damages done this last weekend.

There are 340 students living in PW, and it is very upsetting to the majority of us who didn’t have anything to do with it. Six objects were damaged. The damages were all done within Pierce first and fourth floors and White third floor. The damages are listed below, as listed in the email from Adam Wallander, P/W Residence Hall Director.

1. An exit sign had been torn down and taken from the 1st floor of Pierce on Friday evening
2. The water fountain faucet was damaged on Pierce 4th Floor Friday evening before 10:00pm
3. A toilet paper holder that was smashed on 3rd White in the men’s bathroom Friday evening before 10:00pm
4. The stairwell sign from the first floor of Pierce was torn down Friday night at around midnight
5. An exit sign had been torn down from the 1st floor of Pierce on Saturday afternoon
6. An exit sign had been torn down and taken from the 4th floor of Pierce on Saturday evening before 10:00pm

“This is ridiculous, because I wasn’t even here. My roommate wasn’t even here, and our floor isn’t on the damage list,” Megan Coats said, sophomore resident of PW.

“We know it’s not fair. There is simply no better way of doing it. Unless people talk, the charges have to go to everyone. She asks residents to “come forth, so then we can charge those who are at fault. We have had those who do come forward and it shows maturity,” Director of Residence Life and Housing Crystal Valencia said.

Every year, PW has undergone damages and most often, it is the exit signs. “Signs in general,” Valencia said.

I understand that it is to offer us privacy, but why can’t there just be cameras?

“We don’t want to play big brother, but cameras have always been talked about,” Valencia said.

The prices per person vary widely. “It all depends on where the damage was and what it was damaged,” Valencia said, “If the damage is in a hallway, then it will be by hall. If it was in the stairwell, it will be everyone.” If the damages done require more time or supplies to be fixed, then the price will be higher. The signs in the stairwells are also customized by floor, so those signs can cost anywhere from $300 to $325.

“We’re trying, we really are,” Valencia said.

Residence Life started a poster campaign on Friday, Feb 19 and the weekend will also have increased rounds by RAs, CCs, and Campus Security. Unfortunately, with more supervising, there will also be increased potential for alcohol violations.

The simple way to fix it all and stop the charges is DON’T DO IT.

Monday, February 22, Res Life will be having an open forum in the Skybox at 8:30pm if anyone wants to have a conversation about this situation.