The Walking Dead

Emily Leighton | Social Media Manager

To some people, it’s just another zombie show where there are a few survivors and they are surrounded by zombies. But to others, like myself and my suitemate Lindsay Meyer, TWD is a Sunday event that we never miss. My aunt is also an avid watcher. She texts me every Sunday between 7:50 and 8:00 pm to tell me about her excitement for the episode. During the show, we text back and forth about the, “Oh Shit,” and the, “Did you see that?!” moments.

Now to those of you who are not familiar, the abbreviation TWD stands for The Walking Dead. Good, now that that’s all cleared up, we can finally get down to business.

Warning: If you do not watch the show regularly, there will be some big spoilers ahead!

Everyone knows that Rick Grimes was a police officer prior to the apocalypse, but I don’t think anyone knew how much of a hardcore, badass he really was! This guy is literally watching the people he loves the most die and become his worst nightmare, then killing them to save himself and his family.

Now, these are not zombies, these are walkers. The term “walker” is used because the creator of the show, Robert Kirkman, wanted to be different than other directors. The term “zombie” is used so loosely anymore on shows and movies that they have basically created their own genre. TWD wanted to be unique in a way, that even the characters in the show don’t know anything about what a “zombie” is. Which is why, in the early seasons, they have to learn (from trial and error), that in order to kill the walkers, they need to be shot/stabbed/hit/etc, in the brain.

Other characters, such as Carl, Glen, Carol, and Daryl, have been on the show since season one. The other characters, that is, the ones that are still human (dun dun), have been picked up along their journeys.
Now, let me tell you about one of the biggest/best portions of this show. He is one good looking, hard-headed, motorcycle driving, hunting, heart-thou of a man. His name is… Daryl Dixon. I’ll tell you what, if Daryl was killed off of the show, over half of TWD viewing numbers would drop the next week. There is just something about a man that rides a motorcycle and can use a bow and arrow…

Anyway… back to the part about the show.

TWD is on its sixth season now! Wow. The show began back in 2010 and I can remember when it first came out. My mom (bless her soul, she tried so hard) told me that I wasn’t allowed to watch the show. She saw all the commercials leading up to the premiere and when we watched the first episode, at the end we see glances of walkers eating a horse (sad I know). That’s all it took and did not want me to watch anymore episodes. That lasted for about 2 seasons and then I caught up on Netflix and here we are.

Now, I know what most of you are saying, six seasons? That’s a lot! Wouldn’t there only be so many things the group could do in order to keep themselves alive? Wouldn’t they just eventually die and become walkers themselves?

Those questions are hard to answer and the show is still trying to keep you on your toes. Throughout the six seasons, Rick and friends, have been put through hell. The group starts out in a camp just a few miles outside of Atlanta. They then move to an estate and stay there for an episode to find the area swarming with walkers. After the estates, they go to a nearby farm, which is where they meet more of the group that is with them now. They are on the farm for a couple of episodes, until the walkers take over, that is.

There are many casualties that happen on this farm but once the survivors escape, they need a new home. Rick and crew, find a correctional facility. The prison becomes their home for a while. They are fine here until another character, the governor, steps in and destroys it. The group is then forced to find places to stay for a few episodes here and there. We then find the group in Terminus. A place where survivors welcome others in for a meal. Terminus is a group of humans, turned cannibal (yuck right). There are a few nights where they stay in a church but the final place, as of this moment in season six, the group is held up in Alexandria, Virginia, a safe place.
Now obviously, the walkers find ways in. Someone forgets to lock the door, someone purposely lets them in… No matter the case, there seems to be a reoccurring factor that, the walkers just keep getting in. The group keeps running into people, both good and bad, throughout their adventures.

Now, I personally cannot wait for Sundays at 8 pm. (This is the best way to end/start my week!) If you’re interested in the show, I advise you start the series on Netflix with season one. You’d miss so much and be so lost starting in on six. Just ask around, I’m sure there are tons of people that you know that are vivid watchers.

“We survive by pulling together – not apart.” — Rick Grimes