I Hear Canada’s Lovely This Election Year: The Pro Argument

Megan Snyder | Contributing Writer

The possibility of Donald Trump actually becoming president has grown increasingly. With Trump winning 13 states in the primaries so far, there is some reason for people to start fearing what would happen if Trump actually wins the presidency. People have talked about moving to Canada on social media and whether jokingly or not, it’s not such a bad idea.

As a woman, Trumps blatant objectification and misogynist tendencies both anger and frighten me. Trump mocked the appearance of female opponent, Carly Fiorina by saying, “Look at that face, would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?” How does Fiorina’s face have anything to do with her ability to be president? Why is Trump allowed to say such ridiculous things and then be taken seriously as a leader? When Trump debates, he never actually answers questions that are asked of him, and when a female moderator is calling him out and asking him tough questions he attacks her gender and blames it on her menstrual cycle. Trump’s treatment of women indicates how he ultimately views them—which is as lesser people who aren’t capable of being in leadership positions. Moving to a place like Canada, a country that has worked to ensure equal rights for women and equal representation in leadership, doesn’t sound so bad.

Trump’s recent comments on Muslims, Mexicans and African-Americans are also motivating factors for relocation to The Great White North. Trump’s adamant demand that all Muslims must be identifiable to ensure national security mirror Hitler’s demands to label Jewish people. While Trump is not nearly as evil as Hitler was and will (hopefully) never be in a position of power to annihilate billions, his discriminatory thinking fuels and furthers prejudice and stereotypes in America. His claims that he saw “thousands and thousands of people cheering” as the Twin Towers fell on 9/11 were denied by police, yet he stuck to his false claim to fan the anti-Muslim fire. Trump thrives off of making Americans paranoid and he rejects anyone or anything that is remotely different.

At the end of the day, Trump is a man who is trying to win an election solely on his macho personality over-the-top comments and unfortunately, it seems to be working. There appears to be no real substance to what he says and he has flip-flopped his stance on issues many times over. He has no real ability to be a political leader because I’m sorry, being a businessman does not equate to having the qualifications of being president. I hope that Americans wake up before it’s too late and realize what an awful reality it would be if Trump were president. In the meantime, I’ll be working on my French and looking into one-way flights to Canada.

Graphic by Nic Gibson