8 outdoor activities to do before the semester ends

Stephanie Steiner | Co-Editor-in-Chief

As the dog days are approaching, our days left on campus are dwindling. Until then, though, we’ve got to keep ourselves busy somehow, especially with the nice weather tempting us to do anything other than our schoolwork. It’s true that one of the perks of Buena Vista University (BVU) is that we live right on Storm Lake, and we can’t help but feel like it’s already summer sometimes. So, won’t you join me in taking a break from hiding our heads in our books or our phones and spending some time in the great outdoors? Here are a few activities to participate in as the spring season unwinds.

Lawn golf
It’s classic. It’s BVU’s finest pastime. It’s meant for spring. Lawn golf isn’t just for the really good golfers we have on campus (shoutout to them, though) — it’s for everyone who wants to take a free afternoon and turn it into a trek around campus hitting tennis balls with golf clubs with friends. The Recreation Services house on campus has all the equipment needed for the game, including the course if you aren’t familiar with it.

recLake activities
As previously mentioned, we live on a lake, so we should take advantage of it. Recreation Services has a plethora of water equipment including paddle boats, canoes, and kayaks. Don’t worry, they also have paddles and life jackets. It can get pretty warm here at times so watch the weather and plan a water activity as soon as you can.

Tennis
There are plenty of tennis courts in the area, including several on campus and a few more in the parks along the lake. Grab a racket and a tennis ball and get your workout for the day while simultaneously soaking up some rays.

Photo walk
Bring your phone. Bring your creative mind. Breathe in the spring air. Take a walk around the lake and snap some photos of the gorgeous views. It’s relaxing but also offers inspiration from the surrounding landscape. There’s a perfect sidewalk stretching all along the lake for a walk or run if you’re into that kind of exercise.

Bike ride
If you’re more into a leisure bike ride around the lake, this one’s for you. Again, Recreation Services is amazing and even offers bikes to check out for a nice ride around campus or the rest of Storm Lake.

Outdoor homework
Picnic tables aren’t there just to look pretty, because they aren’t even that pretty anyway. They are all over campus and the parks and are a nice way to still get work done while enjoying some fresh air. Take your backpack for a walk and get some schoolwork done in a new place. Maybe even bring snacks and make it a homework picnic.

Sand volleyball
Behind the suties is a secret sand volleyball court that’s not actually a secret but is definitely awesome. Get a team together and find a volleyball and you’re set to spike and dive and play in the sand like the good old days.

Grill out
At various points around campus, there are grills available for students’ use. Supply the food and hang out at the picnic tables nearby until your food is ready. This is a great way to spend time outside but also do something productive, like eat.

Other fabulous outdoor activities include playing frisbee, showing off your hula hoop skills, starting a game of disc golf, or just sitting on the forum lawn with friends. Whatever it is you decide to do, let it be outdoors at least once during the week so you can enjoy the stellar weather and get some vitamin D. And hopefully it stops raining one of these days.

For more information about available equipment and how to reserve items, check out BVU’s outdoor recreation equipment.

Photos by Stephanie Steiner