Moore announces resignation, makes plans for upcoming year

Madeleine McCormick | News Editor

President of Buena Vista University Fred Moore announced his resignation Sept. 1, 2016. Moore will complete his final year as president of the university on June 30, 2017, after serving for 22 years.

Moore and wife Susan, have two adult children, Allison and Stephen Moore. Stephen has autism. He was one of the first students to enter Storm Lake area school district with autism when their family moved to Storm Lake in 1995. According to Moore, Stephen’s care grew more demanding, so intense care became mandatory. Stephen currently lives in Florida to receive this care. The care is very costly and moving to Florida will ensure that the Moore’s can sustain Stephen’s care long-term.

“He began residing at a facility in South Dakota and eventually transitioned to a center near Orlando, Florida, that specializes in caring for adults with autism, where he is doing well today,” Moore said in a memorandum released to students on Sept. 1.

Moore says this is the reason for his resignation, and he is very grateful for the support from friends and colleagues while he and Susan deliberated this “very difficult and gut wrenching” decision.”

“By moving to Florida, and establishing residency there, we can ensure care for him and his future,” Moore said.

One of the many BVU legacies Moore will leave behind is his relationships with faculty, staff and students, something Moore has heavy heart over.

“This place has incredible people: students, faculty, staff, alumni, board members, donors and people of Storm Lake,” Moore said. “We are blessed to get to know them for as long as we have.”

Moore is the longest serving president in BVU history, a position that he says has been “very enriching.” He says he will miss the work he is able to do with students, although his schedule doesn’t necessarily allow for much time spent with them.

“Hearing the stories about things that students do in partner with faculty and staff are a big motivation,” Moore said. “[It’s] very satisfying to see students in their educational experience here, and then go on and do amazing things in their lives. I wish them all well.”

Moore plans to work with AGB Search, a nationally-recognized firm that specializes in higher education executive searches. He will continue working in education as he will help place effective administrative leaders at other schools.

In his last year here, there are a few things that Moore said he wishes to do before he officially leaves his position:

1. Ensure an effective transition of leadership once the new president is named. “If there is anything I can do for the new president, I will be here, but only on the new president’s discretion,” Moore said. Moore emphasized that he does not wish to interfere in the process of transitioning to new leadership.

2. Allocating new financial resources to Marketing and Communication to build the BVU reputation.

3. Bridge new partnerships to market BVU’s online programs, including direct enrollment growth with Learning House and making sure the launch occurs successfully.

4. Plan for a possible renovation to Siebens Forum, though Moore emphasizes that this is not a certainty, only a possibility at this point. “[There are] good reasons to be doing that planning right now, even in the last year of presidency,” Moore said.

Most important, Moore wants the student body to know how much he enjoys being with them. From attending athletic, theatrical, scholarly and student-organized events, to just seeing and visiting with students in the gym, Moore believes in the potential of the students at BVU.

“[We have] terrific students here, who go on to do incredible things in their lives,” he said.

Photo courtesy of UMC