First ever fall season in full swing for baseball and softball teams

Tanner Hoops | Staff Writer

Fall is here at Buena Vista University but if you walked into the Lamberti Recreation Center on a given afternoon, you wouldn’t know that by the sound of baseballs being crushed by aluminum bats or the pop of a glove catching a softball. Due to an NCAA rule change, baseball and softball teams are allowed to hold fall practices and competitions ahead of the spring season.

“Our non-traditional season is going really well so far this year, it’s great because we are now allowed 16 days of athletically related activities and 1 day of outside competition compared to the 10 days and no opportunity to play in the past,” explained head softball coach Mandie Berneking, “We were able to travel to Sioux Falls and compete in a triple header against 2 top Division 2 programs and a great NAIA team. Our team really appreciated the opportunity to see all of their hard work pay off in a chance to compete.”

On the baseball side, veteran head coach Steve Eddie is pleased with how things have played out.

“It’s been a good fall, we’ve been able to get out 3-4 times a week,” said Eddie, “it’s been a combination of making adjustments and also getting to know our younger guys. We’re staying competitive, scrimmaging almost every day.”

The fall baseball schedule wrapped up Wednesday night when the Beavers hosted Iowa Lakes Community College in a scrimmage. The event doubled as a cookout and social experience for the team and their fans. Despite no score being kept, it was good for Eddie to preview what the next edition of his team will look like.

“All the young guys know the game really well, they all come from successful programs,” said Eddie, “their intelligence is very good, we have an excellent incoming class.”

Berneking is pleased with the way her softball team has utilized the fall schedule as they prepare to close up shop for the winter.

“The team has been working really hard, putting in a lot of hours to continue to better themselves for our upcoming traditional season. We have a very motivated and dedicated team. As a coach, it is a lot of fun to work with them because they are all eager to get better and play together as a team. They make my job easy.”

As the season draws closer with each passing day, Berneking relishes the work ethic her players possess.

“In addition to the taxing fall season with practices, they’ve willingly gotten up early for 6:00 am workouts with Coach Ryder twice a week. It isn’t easy seeing 5:00 am on the alarm clock multiple days a week but that just proves their relentless attitude towards achieving their goals. I’m excited for this season and it’s crazy to think how close it really is. Practices are just around the corner!”

Photo by: Emily Kenny