Dr. Andrea Frantz to receive the Louis E. Inglehart First Amendment Award

Kyle Wiebers | Contributing Writer

Walking into Lage Room #4, one will see a desk covered with magnets, most emphasizing the importance of the First Amendment. The First Amendment of the United States Constitution states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

The woman behind the magnet covered desk, is Dr. Andrea Frantz. It’s not hard to understand why the First Amendment is so important to Dr. Frantz, a journalist by nature, who understands the importance of all the freedoms included in the First Amendment, especially that of freedom of press. Frantz mentioned that in the past she wasn’t interested in First Amendment, but thanks to great mentors and leaders in the media industry such as Mark Witherspoon and Ken Paulsen, she found her passion in 1st Amendment Education.

“First Amendment education day as a whole is important, and generally, American’s tend not to know about all the rights that are available to them through [The First Amendment],” said Frantz.

Frantz will be receiving the Louis E. Inglehart First Amendment Award on behalf of College Media Association at the 2016 Fall National College Media Convention in Atlanta, Georgia on October 27th. Recipients of the Inglehart award are professional journalists, institutions, or advisors who have made an extraordinary long-term contribution in support of the First Amendment.

As an advisor to 97.5 KBVU The Edge and a Digital Media professor, Frantz believes First Amendment education is an extremely important topic, especially in today’s collegiate world. Frantz emphasized college is a crucial time for teaching students about the First Amendment.

“College students are of an age, and are beginning to exercise for the first time in their lives these rights of the First Amendment, being public about religion, exploring the parameters of the freedom of speech,” said Frantz. “After you turn 18, you’re freer to explore all these things as an individual.”

Frantz loves educating students about the First Amendment, so if you ever want to learn a little more, stop on in to Lage #4. It’s easy to see why Dr. Frantz is the winner of the Inglehart Award. The combination of her passion and dedication to education of the First Amendment deserves nothing less.

Photo by Kyle Wiebers