Where & how to vote on Tuesday

Alyssa Donnelly, Assistant News Editor

November 8 is Election Day and is the first opportunity to vote in a presidential election for many Buena Vista University students. Students can still register and vote on Tuesday, and the Office of Civic Engagement is working hard to get information to BVU students about where and how they can vote in Storm Lake.

Assistant Dean for Student Life & Director of Civic Engagement Dr. Ashley Farmer-Hanson encourages all students to vote in this election and to realize how their votes can make a difference.

“Democracy doesn’t work if you don’t vote,” she said. “I think it’s awesome that most of our students are voting for their first time ever in a presidential election.”

Farmer-Hanson encourages all students who are not planning to vote to reconsider.

“I think maybe they don’t want to vote for the presidential candidates because the media only shows us there are two, but you can vote for other options,” Farmer-Hanson said.

Farmer-Hanson’s office has been sharing the information below regularly and hopes to see BVU students turn out to vote.

BVU students who have not voted yet and would like to vote on Election Day:

• Live on campus and want to vote in BV County? If yes, you vote at Chautauqua Park Shelter between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Need to Register and Vote on the day of election? If yes, bring with you: proof of identity and residence. This can be: Iowa Driver’s license or state ID, U.S. Passport. If your ID doesn’t have a current Iowa address you must show a lease, utility bill, bank statement or paycheck with current address. If you do not have one of these go to Ashley Farmer-Hanson’s office in the GSLC and she will provide documentation if you live on campus. 
  • Already registered in BV County? Just show up and vote!
  • Need transportation? Stop by the GSLC in the Forum from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. and someone will be available to take you.  

Farmer-Hanson said she is available, as well as others in GSLC to contact with questions or concerns about voting as well as getting a ride back and forth to the polls.