Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Who’s who in Beaver sports: Emily and Elizabeth Kim

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

Emily and Elizabeth Kim have many things in common, including their last name. The sisters are two years apart and share the same passion for the sport of golf. The Kim sisters came to Buena Vista University (BVU) from Fairmont Highschool in Fairmont, Minn.

When Emily, the younger of the two, was searching for a school, she was looking for somewhere with great academics that would also allow her to continue to participate in athletics. It just so happened her older sister had found just the place, BVU.

“I knew I wanted to stay close to home and attend a small, liberal arts school. As academics are so important to me, I was attracted by BVU’s strong science program. I was also thankful for the opportunity to be able to continue playing golf in college,” Elizabeth said.

The Kim sisters were first introduced to the game of golf when their relative became a professional golfer, and sent them golf clubs one year for Christmas. Their passion continued to develop through high school thanks to their coaches.

“It was my coaches who really helped my love for the game grow. They helped me advance my golf skills, which in turn, increased my passion for the game,” Emily said.

The sisters became fairly used to playing with each other in high school, but the competition between the sisters started far before competitive sports.

“Emily is my best friend, as well as my fiercest competitor and biggest encourager. Since we were little we have participated in activities together, so high school sports just seemed like a continuation of our competitive relationship,” Elizabeth said.

As excited as the sisters were to again be at the same school, both worried  Emily would often be compared to Elizabeth in the classroom and on the golf course.

“I wanted Emily to have her own identity on campus. While we are similar in a lot of ways, she has some wonderful characteristics that I do not. I am very thankful that she has found her own community on campus,” Elizabeth said.

The Kim sisters were  a force on the BVU Women’s Golf team this fall. Emily and Elizabeth let the team in average “to par” with +14 and +20 respectively.

Emily only has one last spring season to play along side her older sister, and she has enjoyed the previous opportunities to do so.

“As Elizabeth moves on the the next step of her life, I am grateful for the time that I have been able to spend with her. We are always laughing or smiling when we are together. She has pushed me not only to become a better golfer, but a better person and to remember to keep my focus on what matters most,” Emily said.

In her final season as a Beaver, Elizabeth has high hopes for herself.

“I want to keep improving my chipping and putting. I would also love to shoot a new personal best, but I really hope to just have fun and enjoy my last few tournaments of my collegiate career,” Elizabeth said.

Photo by Emily Kenny