Fall sports wrap-ups

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

As Buena Vista University (BVU) winter sports participate in their opening weekends and begin competition, fall sports have officially all ended their 2016 season. Below are re-caps of all the fall sports and their 2016 accomplishments and standing in the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC).

Cross Country

On the Men’s team, the Beavers finished their season on a high note at the Regional Championships. Senior Ben Sampson was the team’s top finisher with 27:26, which was also an all-time best. Senior Tyler Larson also ran his fastest all time race with a time of 30:38. The Women’s team also concluded the season at the Regional Championships with their top finisher, Katie Puls, finishing with a time of 25:15.

Women’s Golf

The Beaver golf team finished their season at the IIAC conference tournament. A majority of the season, the Beavers were led by sisters Emily and Elizabeth Kim. Emily Kim led the Beavers in their final outing taking 21st place with a score of 358.

Men’s Soccer

The BVU Men’s Soccer team finished their season at 5-12-1 (1-7 IIAC). The team was led offensively by Sophomore Gum Riak with 7 goals. The Beavers had seven seniors play their final match this season, including captain Christian Morales and Goal Keeper Matt Tennyson, who led the team in saves with 68 saves and also had one shut out this season. BVU landed one member on the All-IIAC team with Tennyson earning honorable mention. The Beavers finished seventh in the IIAC ahead of Coe College.

Women’s Soccer

The BVU Women’s Soccer team ended the season at 3-12-1 (0-8 IIAC). The Beavers finished the year ninth in the conference. The team landed two individuals on the All-IIAC team with junior Caroline Maher and freshman Ella Wiebusch earning Honorable Mention. This season also marked the end of career in Naomi Wood, Patricia Schwartz, and Samantha Arnold. This season the Beavers set a school record for goals scored in a game against Iowa Wesleyan with their 17-0 win, surpassing the previous record of 12.

Volleyball

The Beaver volleyball team finished their season at 14-14 (4-4 IIAC), landing them in a tie for fourth place with Central. The team played their final match at the IIAC tournament against Coe, who they had previously beat during the regular season. This marked the team’s third straight trip to the IIAC tournament. Two members of the team tabbed First-Team All-IIAC honors. Junior Jade Schaap earned her third straight All-IIAC honor. Senior Maddie Bardole earned her fourth straight All-IIAC honor and ends her time at BVU as the career record-holder in eight categories.

Football

The Beaver football team finished the year at 3-7 (3-5 IIAC). This placed the team tied for fifth in the IIAC with Nebraska Wesleyan. The Beavers had multiple players break offensive records this season, including sophomore quarterback Cole Miller breaking the record for completions in a game with 32 and senior receiver Jalen Henningson surpassed the previous records for career receiving yards of 2,314. The Beavers also landed multiple All-IIAC honors. Senior kicker Tyler Stolen achieved his fourth straight All-IIAC honor by earning First Team and Second Team All-IIAC selections. BVU also landed senior offensive lineman Michael Davidson on the second team All-IIAC, and junior defensive lineman Mason Frost honorable mention. This season marked the final one for 11 seniors.

Photo by Emily Kenny