Track athletes’ reflections on indoor versus outdoor track seasons

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

With the upcoming Indoor Track and Field season approaching, several men’s and women’s track athletes reflect on indoor versus outdoor track seasons. A majority of these individuals have multiple years of experience with high accomplishments under their belt.

Senior mid-distance runner, Ben Sampson, finished with All Conference and All Region honors in the 800 meter indoor race. Sampson also had the opportunity to run at the National meet for Indoor track. He prefers indoor season mostly because of the weather conditions.

“You always know what you are going to get at any given meet during indoor,” Sampson said. “During outdoor, one day might be hot and the next cold and raining. Wind is never a factor inside. From a spectator standpoint, races may be more competitive because there is less space to make moves on an indoor track.”

Sophomore jumper, Brooke Runneberg, received All Conference Honors her freshman year during the Indoor and Outdoor season. She reflects on which season she prefers and why.

“For me, as a jumper, I prefer the indoor season because it is much easier to jump in the warm rather than in the wind, rain, and cold,” Runneberg said. “Overall, however, I’d say outdoor [track] season because there is much more competition, and it is a lot easier to run and get up to speed outside on the bigger track.”

Senior hurdler and sprinter, Justin Sacker, achieved personal records (PRs) in several events over the course of his career at BVU. His junior year he PRed in the 400 meter open as well as the 400 meter hurdle. During his sophomore year, he placed second at the Indoor Conference meet in the 4 x 400 meter relay and placed 5th at the Outdoor Conference meet in the 400 meter hurdles his junior year. He reflected on several differences between the two seasons such as weather, rules related to specific races, as well as the competitiveness of each.

“To say that I prefer one season over the other would be a false statement because each season provides what the other cannot give,” Sacker said.

Junior sprinter, Emma Konkler, was the final athlete to reflect on indoor versus outdoor track seasons.

“I personally prefer outdoor track better than indoor. The indoor track curves are really sharp which makes it hard to stride out and get up to full speed,” Konkler said. “Outdoor track also has more events, so for me, I cannot throw javelin until outdoor season which is something I really enjoy. I also like running outside more in general, the fresh air is so much easier to breath than the indoor air.”

The men’s and women’s track and field teams will lead off their Indoor track seasons come January 14, as they travel to Sioux Center for the Dordt Indoor Open.

Photo by: Emily Kenny