Freshmen form band and produce own album

Cassie Forsyth | Arts & Life Co-Editor

Three freshmen at Buena Vista University (BVU) have come together to form a band: Liberty Hall Collective. The band includes music education major and music production minor Kamron Warden and music production majors Brett Pongratz and Chase Harrison.

The group met in their shared place of residence, Liberty Hall. They became friends instantly and shared a common interest in music, displaying this by playing music together in the lobby of their dorm. They first began playing together at KBVU’s “Seamless” event, and the first official song they performed together was “Leave Me Alone” after Pongratz asked Warden and Harrison to assist him in the music video.

“Leave Me Alone” is a song about a stalker, inspired by people in Pongratz’s past. He wanted to write a comical, catchy, chill song. Their friends Skyler Gorsett and Spencer Bottorff assisted them in making the music video.

The band officially formed when Warden suggested they make a Christmas album. They recruited other musicians from Liberty Hall to perform on the album. After the album was produced, they were left with the three members of the band who were dedicated to what they want to accomplish in the future.

During Christmas break, the band decided to write material they would be able to play together when they reunited. The first event that solidified their new group was the January term “How to Become a Recording Star” concert. Pongratz was a participant in the class and performed four of his songs with the band. Their fan base grew quickly after the concert.

Everybody in the band does everything. Each group member sings, plays a variety of instruments, and writes songs.

“We all are capable of [playing] every instrument, which is what is interesting about the group,” Pongratz said.

Liberty Hall Collective plays a variety of music and doesn’t limit themselves to one particular style. They compare their music to rock and early pop roots with a bit of folk and indie. Each member has a different background, and although they have slightly different tastes in music, they are able to find a common ground.

Each member participates in song writing. Warden found his influences simply by listening to and finding an appreciation for music. He began catching on to themes and then learning an instrument. Warden is inspired by classic rock and believes his songs include a Beatles feel, and most of his songs are lighter.

Harrison finds song writing to be the application of learning an instrument.

“It’s a lot of listening, a lot of experimenting, a lot of learning. I benefited greatly from music theory classes in high school. Music theory gives you a foundation,” Harrison said.

Large influences for Harrison include the Beatles, Passion Pit, and Bruce Springsteen. Many of his lyrics are strongly inspired by Bruce Springsteen, but some of them are also inspired by his girlfriend and events happening around him.

“Love songs are an easy source. They are one of the foundations of music. If you feel it, it’s easy to write about. That’s where a lot of stuff comes from, seeing other people’s stories around me,” Harrison said. “My life in general is fairly uninteresting. I don’t have a lot of strife or worries. If the songs are about conflict, they’re generally from something I’ve observed or something I’ve seen in movies or people around me.”

Some of Pongratz’s influences include Panic! At the Disco, Mayday Parade, Mumford and Sons, and Icarus the Owl. His urge to write initiated from his interest to alter songs. He then decided he wanted to write his own. He enjoys writing comical lyrics, break up songs, and discussing themes that are on his mind.

“I remember when I decided I was going to write my own song. It was kind of like a coping thing. Writing songs is therapeutic for me,” Pongratz said.

Themes for songs vary throughout the album, and they all want their listeners to experience something different through their music.

“We’re a collective of song writers. We have three different perspectives, three different subcategories of things that we want people to experience through our music,” Pongratz said.

Together, the band hopes to send a positive message to their listeners.

“At the end of the day, art or not, music is meant to be enjoyed. We would really just like people to appreciate,” Harrison said. “Any time people enjoy my music, it’s just spectacular. And if any message gets spread, I just hope it’s to listen. To listen and enjoy everything you can.”

“Never stay down. Always stay up and take the high road. That’s one of the things I always like to see in people,” Warden said.

“I’m definitely like a suicide prevention advocate, along with staying up on life. I just like people to realize that other people go through things, too,” Pongratz said. “Any time I can get people to be like ‘Hey I listen to music instead of hurting myself,’ I’m really thrilled. I’d like to be one of those bands that people are like ‘We’re happy now, thank you,’ but it’s music in general that does that.”

Producing their own album wouldn’t be possible without the opportunities BVU has to offer. Because they are all involved in the music production program, they have access to the recording studio. Their biggest obstacle has been the time commitment, because each song takes nearly four hours to simply reach the point of mixing. The events happening on campus also allow them to gain more exposure for the band and provide a platform to perform.

“That’s the only reason we’re able to produce this album- because of this studio,” Pongratz said, “We have all these resources, professors that help us, kids around campus that help us.”

The band has also been noticed by professors who have suggested places to play.

“We were invited by Professor Bernhardt to play with the Lake Ave. Jam Band. Then she gave us contacts for other local jams,” Warden said.

“Everyone here has just been so open and so supportive. That’s just awesome to have,” Harrison said.

To prepare for performances, the band members focus on their confidence. Most of their nerves come from before they are on stage.

“Some people have stage fright. But with musicians, often times how it is with us, once we get on stage, it’s fine. For athletes, they get out on the field or court, and they’re in the game,” Warden said. “Beforehand, I’m nervous, but once I get out there, I’m fine.”

“It’s just you and the music out there,” Harrison said.

The band members suggest to anyone starting a band that they have the passion and dedication for music. They also believe that anyone can be a song writer, as long as they practice.

“The only people who can’t write a song are those who haven’t tried,” Harrison said.

“To become a better writer, writing is a good way to do it. Practice. Listening is important; that’s how you learn. You learn from the experience,” Warden said.

Currently, the band doesn’t know what the future has in store for them, but they do know they want to continue playing music together. A Midwest tour is something they can certainly foresee in the band’s future, and they have all been working towards booking gigs that will gain the band more exposure.

“I’m optimistic that something’s going to happen. It’s going to work out. As to what scale it’ll be, I don’t know, but the pleasure will be in playing music,” Harrison said.

“We plan to be together for four years. If we’ve gone somewhere by then, or we see ourselves going somewhere, we’re going to stick with it,” Pongratz said. “This is only the beginning.”

The band recently released a Valentine’s EP, and they hope to release their full album by early March. The album will be released on the band’s bandcamp page. After the release of their album, they will work to get it on Spotify, iTunes, and to eventually be recognized by Shazam. Their next performance will be at KBVU’s “Replugged” event on March 1.

To keep up with Liberty Hall Collective’s progress, like them on facebook.

Video and music courtesy of Liberty Hall Collective
Photos by Cassie Forsyth