One Shining Moment: Paul Gallagher Edition

Paul Gallagher | Blogger

Peyton Manning was once asked at what point did he know that he had made it? He answered “Once they quit calling me Archie’s boy and started calling me Peyton.” I was asked a similar question the other day and I answered, “Now that I am taking over my older brother’s blog, and its 25 loyal readers, I believe it’s safe to say I’ve made it.”

Alright maybe less than twenty-five people read this blog and maybe I haven’t made it, but I am Grady’s younger brother, Paul and for this week only I am writing my big bro’s blog. For those of you reading who don’t know me, first off, I’m guessing you live under a rock, and secondly, I will give some background information just in case.

I am a freshman at Buena Vista University and I have really enjoyed my first semester and a half on campus. It is not always easy going to the same college as your older brother, especially when you participate in the same sport, have the same major, and have almost identical friend groups. Not to mention, I am better looking and having better game with the ladies. I have enjoyed it mainly because Grady and I get along well and are very close which is why I was crushed when he didn’t pick me to be on his intramural slow-pitch softball team. I guess I will take it as a chance to earn my stripes, considering there is no doubt in my mind I will go 6-6 with a couple doubles and around 7 RBI’s when our two teams meet up. In all reality, BV has treated me well, and, like most nineteen year olds, it’s been nice to get out of the house and gain some much needed independence. Even though I am still bombarded with numerous texts and calls each week from my dad making sure I went to class and nagging me about applying for an excellent summer job opportunity he’s found where I will make around $5 an hour working hard labor in the 110 degree July weather. I’ll make sure to get right on that dad!

As a freshman on the basketball team I was sad to see the Beavers season end last Thursday night in Pella. The boys’ team had a good year finishing third in the conference, the seniors will be missed and as the season ends I was reminded of a couple of my favorite personal moments in my first year with the team. The first came in a practice early in the season, I was a young point guard learning a new system and trying to remember a lot of things. I didn’t have the greatest control over my team and Coach Van Haaften reminded me to make sure I got my team set up and called out a play every time down the floor. I kept this in mind and on the next trip down the floor. Before I could call out anything, I found myself passing and tripping all in the same motion. I was just told to make sure I call a play so I did what seemed right, and called the play “Iowa” while sitting on my rear. The team and coach got a good laugh, in the middle of an otherwise highly competitive and serious practice. I even laughed a little too. Another one of my favorite memories was watching two of the Beavers biggest home wins this season, against UW-Platteville and Dubuque. In the Platteville game the Beavers started by making their first eleven or twelve three pointers against the nationally ranked Pioneers en route to a blowout win. Also, when we beat conference leading Dubuque at home I suited and sat on the end of the bench, we played a great game and the end of the bench was rocking. At one point in the closing seconds of the game our assistant coach had to hold me back as I was about to rush the court and start an altercation with an opposing player. Maybe I’m stretching the truth a bit, but the atmosphere was great. The basketball season is full of memories but my favorite thing I will take away from my first year on the team has to be after every win in the locker room when all the guys are huddled up and coach gets done talking. Everyone looks at our senior forward, Jeff Stevens, and he holds up a fist and yells “It’s a great day to be a Beaver!” and we all go crazy.

Now that basketball is over I tend to have more time on my hands so last night I was happy to be able to go down to Des Moines with my uncle, grandpa and brother to watch my younger sister Ellen, play her final high school basketball game in the state tournament. It was awesome watching her play on such a big stage. Even though her team lost she played excellently and has a bright future ahead. She announced after the game that she will be attending Simpson College next year and will play basketball. I’m sure after all my fans read this blog that news will blow up so expect a few more congratulation texts Ellen, sorry. I must say I was a bit surprised by her decision especially after my grandpa Don who lives in Storm Lake offered to take my sister to the local bar in town and give up his house on any weekend she needed it as long as she would commit to attending BV. I think it’s safe to say he was joking and it’s safe to say I didn’t exactly get that kind of attention when I was deciding on a college.

March is now upon us and that means it’s one of my favorite times of the year. I don’t have many dates highlighted on my calendar but Selection Sunday is one of them. I hope to see Iowa, Iowa State, and Creighton all make the big dance this year. Right now my final four teams are Florida, Villanova, Virginia, and Louisville; all that is likely to change by the end of the week though.

I know Grady usually ends by wishing luck to different sports teams on campus and congratulating teams that have won. I like how he does that but I’ve decided to change things up a bit and give a shout out to the everyday students on campus. These students are involved in all sorts of groups and clubs and yet they are still getting the job done in the classroom. Special shout out to my White 3rd floor boy Josh Scuffham also known as “Scuffed Ham,” keep doing what you’re doing kid.

Lastly I want to thank Grady for letting me write his blog this week, it’s been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I hope everyone enjoyed it and if you didn’t enjoy it please leave a comment below, they will be sent to Grady’s computer anyway, not mine. Thanks.

View Comments (1)