Baseball achieves 4-game sweep over Central

Stephanie Steiner | Photo Co-Editor

On April 6 and 7, the Buena Vista University (BVU) baseball team took on Central College in Storm Lake. Starting out on Sunday, the Beavers came up with a strong 10-2 win, along with a close 5-4 win to finish the doubleheader. The Beavers came ready to play again on Monday with two tight wins 7-6 and 6-5, sweeping the four game series 4-0.

In the opening game, BVU showed their determination with four runs in the second inning and five in the third. Senior Joe Paletta hit his second home run of the season. Freshman Bryce Wessels and senior Weston Foxx both had two hits and two runs batted in. The Beavers ended the game with a dominating score 10-2.

“We got a sweep against one of the strongest teams in our conference—it’s a huge confidence booster. We have a team that can win against anyone, anytime,” Foxx said.

In the second game on Sunday, BVU started the first of three tight games.

Freshman Brandon Wessels had two of the team’s seven hits and scored two of the five runs. Senior Jeremy Lambert let his first home run of the year soar, bringing in two more runs. Sophomore Tanner Truesdell ended the game with a walk off hit in between left and centerfield, driving in the last run for a score of 5-4.

“The sky is the limit with this team. When we have as good of chemistry as we do, you never know what we can accomplish,” said Truesdell.

The second day of games proved to be more challenging than the first with closer scores, but the Beavers maintained their perseverance.

“We are not scared by the moment, we embrace it,” Foxx said.

The Dutch started the game with a 1-0 lead, but the Beavers dominated in the second inning, snatching a 5-1 lead. Although the Dutch grabbed a few more runs, BVU was able to hold them off with more insurance runs and two swift double plays, ending with a score of 7-6.

In game two, the Dutch jumped ahead 5-0 by the third inning. The Beavers answered in the bottom of the third with four runs. In the eighth inning, sophomore Neil Marshall had a big hit bringing in two runs, which moved the Beavers ahead 6-5. Junior Ian Grigsby finished off pitching in the ninth inning, and, with three outs right away, made his second save of the day.

“I can’t emphasize how awesome it is to be supported by great teammates. I’ve never been around a group of guys as selfless as the ones on this team,” said Truesdell.

After the weekend series, along with the team’s trip to Cedar Rapids to verse Coe College on Tuesday, April 8, the Beavers’ record advances to 19-5 overall (8-4 IIAC). They will travel to Indianola on April 11-12 for their next weekend series against Simpson College.

Photo by Stephanie Steiner