Campus wide Humans vs. Zombies game approaches with new moderators

Seth Mecklenburg | Arts & Life Co-Editor

Humans vs. Zombies (HvZ) has become a new Buena Vista University (BVU) tradition. Each semester students are treated to a game of tag where being tagged means the participant becomes a zombie and can then tag other people. This semester there is a major change to the event, as two brand new moderators (mods) prepare to take over the game.

Sophomore digital media major Zachary Schmidt and sophomore music production major Myckeal Rake have taken the reigns from Seniors Tyler Klobassa and Jon Kenkel. Rake and Schmidt did shadow last semester’s game as co-moderators and both of them are excited and nervous.

“It’s been a lot of work, a lot more planning goes into the weekend than people realize. We have to pick the weekend, get the funds because prizes and pizza aren’t free, and then create the missions and get the word out,” Rake said.

Rake and Schmidt were chosen as moderators last year and a lot of it had to do with their love of the game. Both have their own jobs to carry out, in order to make sure the game runs smoothly.

“I’m mostly in charge of planning the meeting and creating the game. Zach is in charge of the planning, all of the pre-game stuff. Obviously we both help each other out but my job really comes in during the weekend,” Rake said.

Both have done a lot of preparation for the game, as they attempt to help each other out in all aspects of the game, and not just with what falls under their job title.

“I mean I have to admit that Myke has done a lot this semester as far as doing things physically. We are both very busy and it can be hard to get together. But for example if you look at the hours you can get your bandanas and tags, they are mostly when Myke is working at 2fix. I can’t fit something like that in my schedule,” Schmidt said.

Rake will be the one emailing the players their missions and other updates during the game. Both mods set up each mission and will be needed to be focused all weekend. To be sure of minimal problems, they two have created what they call a “cookie cutter” game.

“There will be a lot of similarities between this game and last game. It’s going to be very cookie cutter, we did a lot of cut and paste to make sure the game would run smoothly. As we get comfortable we will do more and more creative things hopefully,” Rake said.

Schmidt feels the same as Rake, adding that he feels it’s not quite their game yet.

“This semester should be very similar to a Ty and Jon game. I don’t think it will really be Myke and I’s style until next year. Right now we are kind of under our Mother’s wing. We still go to them and ask them questions,” Schmidt said.

The two already have a plan for what their HvZ legacy will be. Rake wants to create a linear story with a clear, beginning and end. In other words, provide reasons for why the game is happening. While Schmidt has his own style he wants to add.

“I would like to see humor be a big part of the game. Not in a distracting way, but if we add some pop culture and humor for those players that love the zombie genre, I think that would be interesting. People could read an email, laugh at it and then go do a mission and be in fear again,” Schmidt said.

Rake and Schmidt are in agreement that the game is a lot of work. However, they are glad that they took up the responsibility.

“I have gained more appreciation for the game now as a moderator. There are some people, who just get so into it, much more than I ever did as a player, and I got pretty excited,” Schmidt said.

Rake feels the best is yet to come, with this being their first game as head moderators, they are anxious to see if all of the hard work will pay off.

“The fun part hasn’t started yet. When the game starts and everybody is running around in chaos, and I know that I helped create that excitement, that will be the fun part,” Rake said.

If you would like to participate in the game, you can sign up at the HvZ source.

Video by Seth Mecklenburg
Photo by Tyson Domingo