Who’s who in Beaver sports: Becca Pennington

Emily Leighton | Staff Writer

Becca Pennington is a senior women’s basketball player at Buena Vista University (BVU). Pennington is from Mount Ayr, Iowa and is majoring in Biology. Pennington has seen playing time in all four of her seasons here.

Pennington and the Beaver women are off to a good start. They started the season off with a bang getting some big time wins over their opponents. They now sit at 3-2 overall.

“I’m very anxious about how our season is going to turn out this year. My hopes are pretty high as to how far we will make it. So far, I believe that we’ve came out hard and are making a statement,” Pennington said.

Coach Janet Berry is very proud of her team and the accomplishments they have made so far this season. Pennington makes a difference when being on the court, not only in games but in practice as well.

“She brings to both practice and games a tremendous amount of energy and enthusiasm. She makes us a better defensive team and she has been shooting the ball well,” Berry said.

Last season, Pennington missed a majority of the season due to an ACL tear in her knee. She took the time off she had to recover and get herself ready for this season.

“Words are hard to explain the excitement that comes with returning to basketball. Of course I get nervous about playing again, but all of the hard work that was put into rehabbing my knee is worth the risk again. I’m thankful for my support system I had along the way, and I could not have a better group of girls that I get to call my team. The injury actually made me realize how much I appreciate the sport,” Pennington said.

Pennington loves this sport, and it’s clear in the way she plays.

“The best way that I can describe the feeling is stepping onto the court again after so long is like an addiction that had been taken from you,” Pennington said.

Pennington, being a senior, is looked up to as a leader of this beaver team. She has high hopes for this women’s team, and she knows they are capable of doing great things.

“For a long-term team goal, I would like to see us win the conference title. I believe this year is our biggest chance. Also, to receive a positive reputation both from our school and in the IIAC,” Pennington said.

The Beavers pick up play again this coming Friday, Nov. 28th, at 7:30 p.m against Presentation College in Storm Lake.

Graphic by Justice Gage