Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Wrestlers motivated under new coaching staff

Courtney Van Haaften | Co-Editor in Chief

The Buena Vista University (BVU) wrestling team has opened its season by competing against several tough opponents and is now preparing to take on Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) opponent and fifth-ranked Coe College in a home dual on Wednesday, Dec. 3.

So far this season, the Beavers have competed at the Luther College Open, hosted a dual against Concordia College, and took on both Tiffin University and Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill. The home dual against fifteenth-ranked NAIA opponent Concordia ended with a close 24-18 score. This was a Pin Cancer event in which they aimed to raise breast cancer awareness. Ernesto Garcia, a sophomore, got the Beavers off to a solid start that night.

“It was nice to host an event for a cause. I think it’s good that we can find ways to give back through our sport,” Garcia said. “We fell just short of beating the fifteenth ranked team in the NAIA. This is something that gives us some added motivation.”

Aside from Garcia, seniors Steve Gutschenritter, Seth Shatto, and Austin Hayes all picked up victories that evening. Junior Gable Bonner pinned his opponent in the heavyweight division.

“The Pin Cancer event was successful and a great way to start off our home schedule. It is something that I look forward to doing again next season,” first year head coach Jeff Breese said.

At the Northern Illinois Duals, the Beavers competed against Division I and Division II competition and fell short in both matches against Northern Illinois University and Tiffin University, 52-0 and 46-6, respectively.

“Our early season has been filled with mixed results. We have performed very well at times, but we have not been consistent. This group has some great potential both as individuals and as a team. It is a matter of taking the next step and consistently performing at our best,” Breese said.

This has been a transitional season for the Beavers, as they have had to adapt to a new coaching staff. Head coach Jeff Breese joins the BVU community from North Carolina State University, and assistant coach Sean White was previously on the wrestling staff at the University of Central Missouri.

“It’s not always easy to adapt to a whole program change, but we’ve done well. It helps having coaches as great as Coach Breese and Coach White. They truly care for the wrestlers and this program, and that has made the transition so much easier,” Garcia said.

Breese and White have been equally impressed with the effort their team has put in so far this season.

“Our seniors have been great in helping to make the coaching staff transition smooth. They have provided a great attitude towards change and that has trickled down to our underclassmen. That has been huge in creating a good atmosphere within our practice room,” Breese said.

After just a few weeks of competition, the team has set goals for themselves and the program as a whole.

“The biggest goal for the team this year is to have a group that has fully embraced a culture change in our program and sets higher standards for themselves. Once that is accomplished, wins will happen. We are improving together every day. Our goal is to focus on that improvement and the results we strive for will happen in March,” Breese said.

The Beavers are hard at work preparing for their next home dual against fifth-ranked Coe College, which takes place in Siebens Fieldhouse on Wednesday, Dec. 3 at 7 p.m.

“We have a few things to work on as a team. We are in really good shape, but we have some small technique to clean up. We are excited to take on a highly ranked team,” Shatto said.

“Our biggest goal is making our opponents work for every point and not giving up pins. These things will make a significant impact on the final score of that dual on December 3rd,” Garcia said. “We’re hoping that we can get a big crowd to support us as we take on the fifth-ranked team in the country.”

Photo by Taylor Staab