BVU’s Education department receives generous STEM endowment gift

BVUs Education department receives generous STEM endowment gift

Kiley Wellendorf | News Co-Editor

Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Education department has received a $500,000 donation that will go directly to a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) program. STEM is a combined approach to learning a variety of disciplinary fields. This approach touches base with Life-Science, Geo-Science, Chemistry, and Physics courses. This program will increase the ability to learn more about the disciplines as well as create a variety of technological opportunities for students. Dr. John Bedwad, Assistant Professor of Education- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, shares how much STEM will increase the education program.

“We’re hoping that if we help instill that at a younger age, they will be more apt to consider one of the STEM fields when they hit into graduation education,” Bedward said.

Through this generous gift, BVU’s Education department will be able to open up a new STEM endorsement that will be offered to students in 2015-2016 school year. On top of this endorsement for students, there are an additional three programs that will begin because of this donation.

“We’re looking at developing a mobile lab, so in the content of that, in these rural areas we still have very under-served communities and schools, and so we want to bring STEM excitement to schools. We would have a refurbished van, or a refurbished bus that would actually have equipment that you could bring to a school,” Bedward said.

Along with these two new features this STEM program will offer, there will also be a chance to have a summer residency program for K-12 teachers. This opportunity will help teachers come together and experience integrated discipline. The final gift that the STEM program will bring is the ability to redesign a classroom with a specific STEM focus. This redesign will make it easier for teachers to learn how to work collaboratively with technology that students are using, as well as use these tools to advance their teaching and learning in a classroom setting.

“The last one is an Annual STEM Fest to attract primarily elementary and middle school students to campus in the fall. We would actually reach out to the larger community to participate in that, “ Bedward said.

This generous donation will create, disrupt, and change the way education is taught at BVU. The STEM program will be offered to students in the fall of 2015, and students will be able to experience a new program on campus.

“There are already a lot of endorsements on the books still within the very classical-view of a science education, and so this endorsement is meant to be disruptive because of the fusion of engineering,” Bedward said, “We’re hoping to enhance what they already know in terms of thinking about a broader approach of careers for their students – whoever they are teaching.”