Take the plunge into student involvement

Tyson-Jay Domingo | Staff Writer

Stepping foot onto the grounds of what can potentially be your home for the next four or five years can be much to handle. College can be an intimidating place and each step will fill you with more questions, new nerves, and awkward first-year experiences. At Buena Vista University (BVU) there are more than enough opportunities for new and returning students to get involved and immerse themselves in the BVU culture. From The Plunge to Buenafication day, there is never a dull moment for involvement at BVU.

Megan Long, a senior Secondary Education and Mathematics double major, has numerous leadership roles under her belt. This year, her title includes being a resident assistant, an academic assistant, Student Senate president, Outdoor Adventure Club president, and vice president of the new knitting and crocheting club. Students can be just as involved as Long is, and one major resource of discovering these organizations is at the Plunge.

“The Plunge is the best resource you could have because it gives all of the organizations on campus an opportunity to show what they do throughout the year and get students involved, especially for the freshmen. I would suggest that freshmen just spend the entire two to three hours at the Plunge because it’s exactly where you want to be as soon as you get to campus, because you’ll be able to find where you think you want to make yourself a part of at BV,” Long said.

With approximately 80-85 organizations at the Plunge, it’s easy for students to get involved with BVU and the Storm Lake community. Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development, Dr. Becka Neary-DeLaPorte, is just starting her fifth year at BVU, and one of her annual tasks is to plan the Plunge, which is BVU’s student activities fair and will be held next on August 27, 2015. The Plunge, however, is not just for active student organizations.

“It’s two-fold. We have tables that are set up with student organizations and involvement opportunities on campus, then we have community agencies, non-profits, churches, etcetera, that want to be able to show their services, give discounts, invite students to attend their trips and services. So it’s a one stop shop for all things that you would need to know,” Neary-DeLaPorte said.

The Plunge is an annual event at BVU, and it’s completely understandable that you may have a commitment that evening, but it’s not the only time to get involved! Another great way to get involved on campus is to contact one of the many faculty leaders available to you to help you on your way. Sophomore Communications Studies major, Morgan Langan, says that the Director of Multicultural Engagement, Carol Williams, and Assistant Dean of Student Life, Ashley Farmer Hanson, are both great contacts who are willing to help you find your place at BVU.

So you’ve been to the Plunge and you’ve talked to someone about the activities that are available to you, but which organization do you choose? Do you go for the one you’re familiar with, or do you stray way out of your comfort zone?

“Both! Say you should join two clubs. You should join one that is of your professional interest or something you’re comfortable with. The second one that you should do is something that is fun, new, and somewhere you can meet new people you wouldn’t normally interact with, or something of a stress-reliever,” Neary-DeLaPorte said. “I always say join two, not twenty.”

“I say do both. Do something that you’re great at because it’ll give you the confidence to do something that you may not think you’d succeed in, but you end up succeeding in the best way possible,” Long said.

“Just do whatever your heart fancies. Now is the time to really find out what you really like, what you don’t like. It’s trial and error. Do what you’re comfortable with, do what you’re not comfortable with,” Langan said.

Filling your résumé isn’t just another reason to get involved. There are lessons to be learned from participating in student organizations and the community, like learning leadership skills and conflict management. Langan said that joining these student activities are the first step to becoming a professional.

“I would argue that right now, that professional careers and employers are wanting soft skills, and those soft skills are most often developed and mastered within student organizations and student involvement,” Nearly-DeLaPorte said.

Take a chance, but not too many, and consider joining an organization or two at BVU. You’ll gain the opportunity to meet great new people, network with professionals, and learn new skills that will set you apart when entering the professional world post-BVU. To see a complete listing of student organizations and opportunities for involvement, stop by the Office of Student Activities in the Geisinger Student Leadership Center (GSLC). You can also email [email protected] if you have any questions, or visit the website at http://www.bvu.edu/campus-life/getting-involved. The only way you can know what you don’t want to do is by trying it out, so don’t be afraid any longer and get involved!

Graphic by Justice Gage