BVU hosts third annual Iron Beaver Triathlon

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

The Iron Beaver Triathlon is an open event to the Buena Vista University (BVU) community as well as the Storm Lake public. It was held on Sunday, Mar. 15, at 8 a.m. in the Lamberti Recreation Center. There were 16 participants total, which is significantly lower than years past.

Participants were able to sign up for either the full Iron Beaver Triathlon or the mini or youth triathlons, which cut the times to a shorter length. The full triathlon consisted of swimming for 15 minutes, biking for 30, and running for 20, with about a 5 minute break between each event. The mini triathlon participants swam for 10 minutes, biked for 20, and ran for 15. The youth triathlon participants swam for 5 minutes, biked for 15, and ran for 10. The distances they reached within those time frames were added together to determine the winners. The prizes for the winners consisted of medals as well as Brown’s Shoe’s gift cards.

“For example, let’s say competitor one swam for 15 laps, got 15 miles on the bike, and ran 15 laps, and competitor two swam 10 laps, got 10 miles on the bike, and ran 10 laps; that would mean competitor one would be the ‘winner’ because they got higher distances,” President of HiPSO Katie Turnquist said.

The triathlon was split into sessions. The first session was all adult females, the second all adult males, and the third was the mini triathlon, which consisted of both older and younger participants.

There were 10 people who competed in the full triathlon and 6 who competed in the mini one. The age range varied throughout the competitors. As Turnquist mentioned, there were four participants above the age of 60, as well as three participants between the ages of 10-14.

BVU director of Health Services and Wellness Tami Laursen was a participant in this year’s triathlon, as she has been in years past.

“I have always loved to swim and started running several years ago, which peaked my interest in the Iron Beaver Triathlon,” Laursen said.

In preparation for the triathlon, Laursen completed the Iron Beaver Challenge, which took place in February. Laursen has always finished the mini sprint each time in the triathlon, and this year wanted to push herself to do the sprint instead.

“My end goal is to participate in the HyNoon Kiwanis Storm the Lake Triathlon 2015 next August,” Laursen said.

Laursen finished third overall in the triathlon. Other winners included: Andrew Fierke in the mini sprint; Andriette Wickstrom and Pete Pratkelis in the sprint; and Nicolas Olsen in the youth distance.