Beyond the playing field: Margaret Charek

Kelsey Ackerman | Sports Co-Editor

Margaret Charek is a graduate assistant on the Buena Vista University (BVU) athletic training staff. Charek completed her undergraduate coursework at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (UWSP) and is now completing her graduate education at University of South Dakota for Educational Administration.

Charek grew up knowing she wanted to help others. When she looked into athletic training as a career, it seemed to fit her personality, interests, and mindset perfectly.

“I truly fell in love with athletic training during my time at UWSP and I am glad I stuck with it through all the difficult times. It is the best career path if you enjoy solving puzzles, emergency care, educating others, and having the possibility of making a difference in someone’s life,” Charek said.

Having a graduate assistant in the athletic training department is something that all the other athletic training staff appreciates. Fellow trainer Lisa Bengtson likes having her around in the classroom setting as well.

“Having a graduate assistant means having another certified athletic trainer around. This helps cover sports so none of us are spread too thin. It is also great to have someone that is closer in age to the students so that she can relate more as far as what they are going through academically in college and moving forward in their education,” Bengtson said.

While there are many aspects to the job of being an athletic trainer, two really stick out to Charek.

“My favorite part is when an athlete understands their injury, the importance of treatments, the limits they now have, and that their athletic trainer cares about their recovery. My least favorite part is when the athlete, the trainer, nor the doctor can figure out the root of an injury. It is a very difficult conversation to have with an athlete when both sides are frustrated and just want answers,” Charek said.

Adding Charek to the staff has done nothing but good things for the athletic training program. While she will only be here for two years as she is finishing up her graduate education, the BVU athletic training staff plans to take advantage having her on the staff.

“She has really brought in some new perspectives as we look to improve the athletic training education program and she also works very well the student-athletes,” Bengtson said.

Graphic by Justice Gage