Campus security gains new employees, Kirkholm looking for applicants

Chad Pribyl | Assistant News Co-Editor

Buena Vista University (BVU) campus security is currently looking for an officer to fill a part-time security position. Director of Campus Security, Mark Kirkholm, is looking for individuals with an ability to connect with people.

“A thing I look for is how they feel about enforcing policies and what that means to them. Their knowledge of security and their knowledge of the institution. Have they done any research or know of any background as to who we are,” Kirkholm expressed.

Education and experience come into play, but it is not always used as the number one aspect to what the campus is looking for. Particular attention is payed to communication skills.

The security department has recently hired a new full-time officer to assist with constituents. Ricky Markley has previously been serving the BVU campus as a part time officer.

“He was extremely qualified to move from part-time to full time,” Kirkholm said.

A new part-time officer was also recently hired.

Officer Jose “Joey” Cazares started in late August. Kirkholm has conducted interviews with applicants for the open part-time position, but the position has yet to be filled. An officer also left during the summer due to family issues, so they had to leave the area.

These security officers are civilians; however, they do work closely with the Storm Lake Public Safety Department, Buena Vista County Sheriff’s Department, and other federal agencies to stifle criminal activity. They are authorized to make citizen’s arrests. Their assistance is vital to ensuring that the campus is safe for students, faculty, personnel, and visitors.

“Obviously our priority is to provide a service to our constituents and ensure that they feel safe. I’m always interested in building community,” Kirkholm stated.

Kirkholm has been the Campus Security Director for some 16 years. He spent 23 years in law enforcement before coming to BVU.

“When I started here, it was an opportunity that I was very interested in and I was at a time in my career and my life where I was in a position to make a switch very easily from that aspect,” Kirkholm said.

There is only one other person in the Security Department that has prior law enforcement experience. That individual is Senior Campus Security Officer Bill Henrich.

Over all, many prospecting individuals become security officers at BVU due to a variety of reasons.

“Everyone has their own story. There’s no one size fits all answer for why people want to work in security,” Kirkholm said.

The university is currently advertising for the open part-time position.

Photo Courtesy of Jasmine Bautista