Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

Seitz and Munn receive national football honors

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

The 26th Annual USA College Football D-III All-American preseason team selection honorees were posted to the American Football Networks’ website with two Buena Vista University (BVU) players listed. Senior offensive lineman Travis Munn was named to the first team while senior wide receiver Ben Seitz was named to the third team. The nomination of players are received from the opposing teams’ coaches.

ben and travis-168Munn has been a key offensive player for the Beavers as he is a 4-year letterwinner and serves as one of the team captains. Munn also received All-IIAC selection honors in the 2014 season.

“It’s an incredible honor and it means a lot. It’s a great feeling to realize all of those early morning workouts and many hours of watching film have finally paid off,” Munn said. “There are a lot of great players in our conference and across the nation and it’s incredible for my name to be thrown in with theirs.”

Seitz, a 3-year letterwinner, has also been a significant asset for the Beaver offense earning Honorable Mention All-IIAC receiver this past season. Seitz also serves as one of the team captains.

“I was very surprised and honestly didn’t believe Travis when he told me I made the list, but it is exciting and very rewarding to see my hard work paying off. It truly means a lot,” Seitz said.

Several players are recognized to these lists every year, but what is it that the American Football Network looks for when selecting them? Munn and Seitz believe that consistency on the field is key to being named to these teams.

“They both have had good seasons last year receiving all-conference selections and that get’s you noticed. They are very, very competitive and are out there competing no matter what the situation is,” tenth-year head coach Jay Anderson said. “They are very positive and don’t hang their heads and those are the characteristics of success.”

Receiving such an honor can place high expectations on players, however, Coach Anderson believes these honors will serve as a motive throughout the remainder of the season.

“I believe these honors will motivate them as individuals more than anything. Their work has been noticed and pointed out by others and as competitiors that makes you want to work even harder,” Anderson said.

ben and travis-159The Beavers are off to a 0-2 start for the 2015 season playing the University of Wisconsin-Platteville who ranked second in their conference standings and St. John’s University who is ranked 8th according to the DIII football poll.

“These first two weeks haven’t turned out like we would have liked but we have learned a lot about ourselves and how important it is to stick together,” Munn said. “I believe we are a good team who can do good things on both sides of the ball.”

With the Beavers beginning conference play Saturday, Oct. 3, against Simpson College, these two seniors are hoping to start chalking up some wins.

“I would like to see our team play with a chip on our shoulder. Show some fight with hustle plays,” Seitz said. “Show confidence knowing we have the mental and physical edge. Lastly I would like to see us play with swagger and have fun flying around and winning games.”

After a bye-week the Beavers are ready to lace their cleats up for their upcoming home opener and first ever night game against Waldorf College on Saturday, Sept. 26, beginning at 7 pm.

Photos by Charlie Webster