Humans of BVU: Susie Haack

Dee Friesen | Arts + Life Editor

Name: Susie Haack
Year: Junior
Major: Digital Media with Japanese Minor
Hometown: Le Mars, IA

If you tune in to KBVU from 3-5pm, only the best of K-POP music will captivate your music-loving ears. Behind this two hour jam session is Susie Haack, a student who is very passionate about Asian culture. Her passion is evident in her radio show and her spunky carefree personality.

Haack chose Digital Media because of her interest in TV and Radio.

“To me, there is just something special about that voice on the radio that you hear in the car,” Haack said. “I also have an extreme interest in Asia, particularly China, Korea, and Japan. So when I found out Japanese was here I picked up that minor really quick.”

“My dream job is to be an on air radio personality in either Japan or South Korea,” Haack said. She shared that Digital Media professors have really helped her expand her knowledge, grow, and show her exciting opportunities that will guide her towards her ultimate goal. “The professors are amazing. They’re really here to help you.”

Immersing yourself into a different culture is a fascinating experience. We each have a unique dream of where we see ourselves in the future. Asian culture has intrigued Haack and she hopes to make a future there.

“Asian culture is so much different than America. In America we always think about individualism. In Japanese and Korean culture, everything is for everyone. You always think about other people,” Haack said. “I just find this connection with the culture and the industries I want to go into over there.”

Haack discovered K-POP while she was in high school. As she transitioned into college, she began listening to more and more K-POP music and found that she is quite passionate about the industry.

“It’s so different from the American music industry, and that’s what I love about it,” Haack said.

Haack’s passion for K-POP and Asian culture also shows through her sense of style and her overall personality. However, she was not always as confident as she is today. In high school she was shy and quiet. She enjoyed K-POP but nobody really knew that side of her. As soon as she moved to BVU, things started to change.

“College was the new start for me,” Haack said. “I was free. I felt so much more myself here. I wasn’t afraid of people saying, ‘Oh, you’re weird. I don’t want to hang out with you anymore.’ I have gained so much confidence over the last couple of years.”

As a final thought, Haack talked about confidence and not being afraid to be yourself.

“Believing you are who you are and just not being afraid to show it. You’re going to find people out there that will accept you,” Haack said.

Every single one of us in unique in our own way. You are the only you in the entire universe. Be true to who you are and don’t be afraid to be yourself.

Graphic by Justice Gage
Photo by Dee Friesen