Student Senate BEER Week

Ashley Lemke | Assistant News Co-Editor

This week is Student Senate’s annual BEER week. BEER week stands for (Beavers Educating Everyone Responsibly) week. A subcommittee of the Student Senate, the special events committee has organized an entire week of events that will help to educate students about alcohol: the risks, dangers, and what it means to consume responsibly.

“BEER week is a week of events put on by the special events committee of the Student Senate with the goal of educating students about how to safely consume alcohol and make good choices during their years at college,” Morgan Langan, special events committee chair said.

This week is full of fun events to educate students about the risks and dangers of drinking alcohol as well as how to consume alcohol responsibly on a campus where there are many students over the age of 21.

“Tuesday we are doing all day trivia via social media. The S^3 (Senators Serving Students) committee will be asking questions through our various social media platforms at the top of every hour pertaining to alcohol related accidents,” Langan said. “It will help give students a bit of a reality check and hopefully they will come to realize that alcohol can be really dangerous if not consumed responsibly. The first person to answer correctly will win a prize.”

Langan said the prize will later be made available during the day in the new Student Senate office, formally known as Ken Meissner’s previous office.

On Wednesday, a Senate meet and greet will take place where students will have the opportunity to meet in the coffee shop during either 10:00am-12:00pm or later that evening from 6:00-8:00pm. Students can expect a free drink with a senator during these times, and have the opportunity to discuss different aspects of Student Senate including what Senate does. Langan says there will be a limit of 50 drinks available for students that day.

The following day, Senate will be located in the ballroom during supper time. A PowerPoint presentation will play as students eat. If students are interested in learning more about information related to alcohol consumption, a booth will be set up where students can try on beer goggles.

“Friday we are having mock tails in the Underground from 9:00pm-11:00pm. If you don’t have any plans or you just want a free drink on us, stop by and enjoy the fun,” Langan said. “There will be a variety of mock tails including: mai tais, margaritas, Shirley temples, and red wine. Come out and enjoy a safe drink with the presence of fun times and music.”

Langan said students can expect an enjoyable and informative experience from these events.

“We want the students to be well-informed about alcohol consumption so they can make the best decisions that will benefit their futures,” Langan said.