Must-see on Netflix: Sci-Fi

Dee Friesen | Arts + Life Editor

Processed with VSCO with a5 presetYou know when you’re bored out of your mind so you sit down to watch something on Netflix but then you spend the next hour or more searching for something to watch? Well, I’m here to help! This week’s theme is Sci-Fi. Here is a list of must see new and old shows and films under Netflix’s Sci-Fi category.

1. Jessica Jones (NETFLIX Original) – This new Marvel series on Netflix looks really interesting! I am not entirely sure what it is about, but come November 20th you can start binge watching this awesome new series!

2. The X-Files – Coming soon in 2016 is the brand new season of X-Files! If you’ve never seen this extraterrestrial themed Sci-Fi TV show back in it’s prime (1993-2002) but want to catch up before the new season, I suggest you watch all 9 seasons while you can.

3. Doctor Who – How do I even begin to explain this remarkable show? Travel through time and space with a two-hearted Time Lord who regenerates instead of dying. (Well, he can die but…it’s complicated.) If you’ve never experienced this amazing adventure, I suggest you start! This show is one of the longest most successful shows in history. Both the classic and new seasons of Doctor Who are available. The classic season was filmed in 1989 with the first Doctor and ends the series with the 8th Doctor in 1996. The new series began in 2005 with the 9th doctor and is currently airing with the 12th Doctor. This is one of my all time favorite shows, however it does take attention and dedication.

4. Star Wars: Clone Wars – The new Star Wars movie The Force Awakens is coming out this December. If you’ve seen all of the Star Wars films but are missing what happens in between Episodes 2 and 3, this would be a great show to watch. Although it is an animated series, it’s not just for kids.

5. Firefly – This show ran most of the first season back in 2002. All 14 episodes of season 1 can be easily watched in a weekend. Join the Serenity crew in this dramatic “space-western” through their action packed adventure.

6. Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn – Calling all Halo fans! Halo 5: Guardians (the video game) came out this past month. If you’re interested in Halo lore this is a great film to watch.

7. Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Enterprise, and Star Trek: Nemesis (Movie)– There here, Trekkies! A bunch of Star Trek goodness is available to watch if you’re already a fan or want to educate yourself on this spectacular space adventure.

Good luck with your Netflix adventures! Live long and prosper, sci-fi nerds.

Graphic and photo by Dee Friesen

View Comments (1)