Lindsay Meyer: Transitioning from one sport to another

Emily Leighton | Staff Writer

Lindsay Meyer is a sophomore Environmental Science major from Deerfield, Wisconsin. In her two years here, she has been a part of the women’s soccer team, as well as the track and field team. Starting her junior year, she will be joining the women’s volleyball team as well. Transitioning through sports is no surprise to Meyer. In high school, she participated on the soccer, volleyball, and basketball teams.

“Transitioning from soccer to track was really hard to start building and strengthening different muscle groups. For track we lift weights, but for soccer we didn’t, so I was really sore when we started that again,” Meyer said. “Also, going from “soccer shape” to “track shape” is a huge change. In soccer you have to be able to run/jog/sprint for two 45 minute halves and sometimes overtime. In track you practice for your events (short sprints and long jump for me) which requires bursts of you going your full speed.”

Head women’s soccer coach Sheena Van Roekel has worked with Meyer for two seasons now and she has witnessed what Meyer can achieve.

“From Lindsay’s freshman year through her sophomore year, she has grown a lot with each athletic season. She has always invested in the team she’s competing with and her teammates as individuals. To be able to coach someone who has a never quit mentality and invests in her athletic families, it’s a blessing,” Van Roekel said.

Something that Van Roekel has noticed each year when new freshman transition from high school to college soccer, is their level of fitness.

“As athletes become more in tune with how they need to train for their sport and position, they have a better idea of what they need to do to prepare for transitioning from one sport to the other,” Van Roekel said.

Head women’s volleyball coach Lori Slight feels that Meyer will do great with the transitions.

“Lindsay will be and has been a wonderful addition to our volleyball team. With her still in track season, she has had to balance our spring ball and her in season track commitments,” Slight said.

For anyone that is looking to be a multiple sport athlete, Meyer has some motivating words for you.

“If you’re interested in doing multiple sports, GO FOR IT. It can be really hard to manage your time when you go from being busy every night of the week and have to plan out every single time space you have in order to get your work done. Another important thing to do is keep yourself healthy. Eat right, drink a ton of water, and know your body. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Go talk to coaches, talk to other players, and if you’re really interested then go out and play,” Meyer said.

Photos courtesy of Linsday Meyer