Feeling at home away from home

Laura Schachtner | News Co-Editor

Most Buena Vista University (BVU) students will remember their O-Team leaders, resident advisors, and professors encouraging them to stay on campus during their first few weekends at college. Staying on campus instead of going home plays a significant role in first-years becoming part of the BVU community because it gives them a chance to participate in events that can help them form new friendships.

Director of Student Success Mark Shea affirms the importance of students not going home when making the adjustment to college life.

“It’s good for students to stay on campus, especially early in the semester, so that they can become engaged in the campus and meet other students and feel like they’re part of the whole campus environment…they get more connected if they stay on the weekends,” Shea said.

Here at BVU, first-years are given the opportunity to participate in events that give them the chance to meet other new students.

“For the third year, we’ve done the footprint project, which helps get them comfortable with other students that will be in class with them,” Shea said. While working on the Global Footprint Project, first-years brainstormed ideas that can be implemented on campus to positively impact the environment.

In addition, first-years participated in the Beaver Games their first weekend here, which consisted of games such as washer toss and volleyball.

New students that choose to stay at BVU during their first few weeks are “going to feel more like they’re part of the campus. It’s going to feel more like a home for them than just a school,” Shea said.

Being away from home for an extended period of time is a difficult adjustment for new students. Shea offers advice for those who may be struggling.

“Embrace this as a new home, put yourself out there to meet new people, go to some of those events, keep your door open…just try as much as you can to connect with the other students here,” Shea said.

Feeling homesick is normal, and the BVU community does as much as it can to help students feel more at home. BVU’s Student Activities Board (SAB) hosts weekly events that give students an opportunity to interact with their fellow peers. Some upcoming events are Dale K. the hypnotist Wednesday Sept. 5 at 9 p.m. in Anderson Auditorium and Midnight Movie Sept. 12 at Vista 3 Theatres. Students can visit http://bvusab.com/entertainment/ for SAB’s schedule of events for this semester.

Photo by Tyson Domingo