Intramural Opportunity Options

Intramural Opportunity Options

Allyssa Ertz, Arts and Life Editor

School is back in session, which means so are intramurals!  There are lots of options for students to get involved and meet new people while simultaneously playing games that they know and love.  Your favorite sport is waiting for you to join a team! 

Trevor Berneking, director of recreation services at Buena Vista University, is in charge of all intramural activities.  According to Berneking, flag football and co-ed softball have both already begun.  However, you can still join in by contacting him to include your team!  These two sports occur on Wednesday and Thursday nights. 

Lawn golf is a new addition to the Intramural Sports leagues this year, which will take place on Tuesday nights.  A couple of pick’em football leagues are also in session, including college and pro.  To take part in these, you will just need to go to ESPN, sign in or create an account, and go to the Fantasy section.  Drop down to Pigskin Pick Ems or College Pick Ems, and then search for the group BVU Beavers 2018.  The password then will be BVUBeavers. 

These intramural events will continue through the middle of October.  After these, co-ed volleyball will begin as well as basketball.  These will run through the end of the semester. 

Mitchell Krein, senior, and Taylor Frain, junior, are the interim supervisors for this year.  They both will be in charge of planning different events, such as a dodgeball tournament, which they will also advertise weeks in advance.  If there is an event coming up, you’ll be able to find one of these two at a table in the Servery to get the word out to students.  They are also in charge of pushing out updates such as letting team captains know when games will take place, or when an intramural game is postponed. 

Another way to find out what’s happening in the intramural world is to check out their social media pages.  Take a peek at BVU Recreation Services/ALPS on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date on what’s up next for the Intramurals student community.  Also, check out BVU News, because information will be available through those emails on a regular basis. 

To sign up for intramurals, go to imleagues.com.  Create an account, find Buena Vista University, and sign up for whatever league you would like to be a part of.  You are able to sign up individually and be placed on a team, or sign up as an entire team.  If you sign up as an individual, make sure you choose “Free Agent.” 

In addition, students can be officials and referees for intramural sports.  This year they have created a new component to working this job – if you are someone who is into sports marketing, or anything in that arena, there are internships available that you could potentially secure while doing something you love. 

Berneking already has an intern for this semester but is searching for someone else who would be interested in the Spring semester.  Make sure you keep this in mind if you are looking for an internship!  This could work out for a semester, or even an entire year in the future. 

If you’re worried about commitment issues or being too busy for an intramural sport, you would only be spending about 1-2 hours in a week playing.  It’s not an enormous time commitment.  It would be a great way to make sure you have a bit of a stress reliever from schoolwork. 

“It just gives you an opportunity to get involved, meet new people, stay active, and just have some fun.” Berneking says. 

If you are from out-of-state or do not have a vehicle and would like to be in co-ed softball, just make sure ahead of time that you have a ride to the field because this will not take place on BVU’s campus.  Other than this, all other events occur on campus. 

Equipment is all provided for each intramural experience.  You won’t need to bring anything of your own, unless you want to.  Other equipment for activities on your own is also available through the Rec House.  More information on that is located here (with more than just Spring options). 

Intramurals are taken seriously.  People want to win, but they do keep in mind that it is supposed to be a fun experience and will play fair. 

Berneking emphasizes that this is a great way to meet somebody you would’ve never talked to, and a way to work with people in a different setting.  An attribute of intramurals that makes it stand out from the rest is that if you aren’t someone who likes to go to the weight room and lift or run on the treadmill, this is the way to go to keep off that freshman fifteen or to just stay active. 

“I think that the biggest thing is that it’s something to get you out of your dorm room and just have some fun.”  Berneking says.