Blogger reaction: Democratic National Convention

Tyler Reed | Contributing Writer

The Democratic National Committee has officially come and gone this past week. As is customary, elected officials and exceptional Americans alike flooded the North Carolina stage to reaffirm the principles of their party.

“Forward” is the overarching slogan the Obama Campaign has been using this election year. From that stage, the Democratic Party let the word go forth, from the convention hall in North Carolina to the factories of California, that they will stand behind those often caught in the middle. That is, they will stand behind those who make up the very foundation on which our country prospered and will once again prosper. These include teachers, nurses, and laborers, to name a few.

Former President Bill Clinton, as he has done before when times have ordered, laid the stakes of the election. For him, it’s simple “arithmetic.” Romney’s numbers don’t add up. Folks, we know talk is cheap. But that’s all we got from Romney/Ryan. President Clinton let this be known. He let it be known Democrats would not allow the wool to be pulled easily over our eyes.

More impressive to me, President Clinton clearly articulated the decision we had to make. “The most important question is, what kind of country do you want to live in? If you want a you’re-on-your-own, winner-take-all society, you should support the Republican ticket. If you want a country of shared prosperity and shared responsibility — a we’re-all-in-this-together society — you should vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden.”

Approximately 24 hours later, Vice President Biden, known for his off-the-cuff remarks, made it clear what value among working-class Americans must be preserved this November: integrity. A job is more than a paycheck to the middle class for Vice President Biden. Our work is often how we define our lives. When the chance and opportunity for individuals to live to their fullest is only extended to those who already enjoy bountiful resources, Vice President Biden’s speech provoked questions of how this fits with our nation’s definition of integrity.

Finally, President Obama greeted the crowd and took command of the podium to reiterate his vision for the future. Most importantly, he reiterated that we as a nation, though diverse, are one. Regardless of any distinctions, whether it be race, gender or income, we share in the future of our nation. If we hold true and together raise the seas from its current level in these rough waters, all boats in the bay will rise. First, we must believe and accept we are not a land of everyone for him or herself, but a diverse land where all the people are one.

Photo by Makensie Brown