Campus safety at BVU

Campus safety at BVU

Laura Schachtner | News Co-Editor

Buena Vista University (BVU) has recently published its annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report. This report is a compilation of current policies, procedures, crime statistics, and fire statistics.

Every university is required to report to the federal government the number of criminal offenses and arrests that were reported on-campus for crimes such as liquor violations, sex offenses, burglary, and assault. The numbers in this report, however, reflect only the crimes that have been reported. Not all criminal activity is brought to Campus Security’s attention.

“We encourage people to report all criminal activity,” Director of Campus Security Mark Kirkholm said. “We ask that everybody reports any and all suspicious or criminal behavior.”

Sexual assault is one crime that is significantly underreported. Victims of sexual assault are less likely to report the crime than victims of other crimes, such as vandalism. According to the Department of Justice’s research report The Sexual Victimization of College Women, less than five percent of rapes were reported to the police.

Sexual assault victims are hesitant to report because they fear the stigma society wrongly places against them.

“Historically, sexual violence was seen as the fault of the victim,” Assistant Professor of Social Work and Victim Advocate Ellen Holmgren said. “If I go out drinking and my house gets burglarized, nobody will ask ‘Why were you drinking?’”

They also fear repercussions from the perpetrator. Although reporting to law enforcement is significantly low, victims of sexual assault do tell those around them. According to the report, 66% of victims told a friend.

Holmgren is a trained Victim Advocate and has helped victims of sexual violence.

“I listen, offer support, and give them options. It’s about empowering them,” Holmgren said.

If an incident occurs, students can report it to Campus Security and law enforcement officials. Even if the incident is minor, reporting still helps Campus Security keep the BVU community safe.

“I tell students the same thing that your parents told you when you were growing up – lock your car, keep your room locked, and don’t walk alone at night. There is no magic bullet out there,” Kirkholm said.