1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
Kylee Boettcher: Coach of the future​
Kylee Boettcher: Coach of the future​
Contested books: What does the next chapter hold?
Beavers take the mat for the beginning of jumps and tumbling for round 2 of game 1.
Stunt Home Tournament
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
Kylee Boettcher: Coach of the future​
Kylee Boettcher: Coach of the future​
Stunt Home Tournament

Typical Saturday nights on Twitter

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

It’s late on Saturday night, and what am I doing? Sitting on Twitter while lying in bed. It’s the typical Twitter Saturday night: boring people that should be asleep and a couple party animals that have nothing better to do but tweet, until I get an ESPN Update telling me Utah is about to upset No. 25 ranked BYU. Given the fact that I wasn’t tired, but didn’t turn on the TV, is probably why I’m still upset. Twenty minutes later, still awake, I update my Twitter feed. This time, I received an explosion of “What a game!” and “Utahhhh” or “The band is on the field” tweets. I found out the next morning that Utah fans prematurely rushed the field TWO TIMES, basically pleading BYU to win the game with another chance at a shortened field goal. The last attempt, for the tie, was off the goal post and Utah was victorious.

The fans storming the field got me thinking back to Saturday, when Tyler Kastantin (my roommate) and I were talking about our top five favorite college football games of all-time. These games could not just be any great games, the criteria were: 1) You, personally, had to be watching the end of the game, live. 2) You did not have to see the full game. 3) No Nebraska games were allowed unless they were the losing team. 4) You had to remember where you were when the last play happened.

My list:

5. Boise State 43, Oklahoma 42 (2007)
This was the beginning of Boise State’s run as the “Put Me in the BCS Title game because I’m just as good as the big dogs” team in college football. Everyone knows how insane the last drive was and how gutsy the statue of liberty and proposal ended an epic clash between David (Chris Peterson) and Goliath (Bob Stoops). What might be the most exciting all-around bowl game of all-time is number five on my list because there are four other games that were better in my opinion. Simple as that.

4. Texas 41, USC 38 (2006)
This Rose Bowl contained two of the most dominant players in college football history—Reggie Bush and Vince Young. Vince Young, whom I was not a huge fan of at the time, literally put the team on his back and would not accept defeat. Reggie Bush was just stupid throughout his college career but doesn’t have much to show for it now (insert USC fans shaking their heads). I was honestly rooting for USC in this game, but Vince grew on me. He just wouldn’t stop. They could not tackle him. And when he pranced into the end zone for the final touchdown and the National Title, he acted like it was no big deal. He was just doing what he knew he could. No big doggie pile, not a huge touchdown celebration, not even an announcer having a heart attack. I just remember sitting in my living room thinking, respect, Vince, respect. Plus, the camera view from behind Vince as confetti falls after the game, so cool.

3. Iowa State 9, Iowa 6 (2012)
(Rereads a 2nd time)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah right.

3. Iowa State 37, Oklahoma State 31 (2011)
The ONLY reason this is not #1 is because I was SUPPOSED to be AT THE GAME. My ride ditched me earlier that afternoon, and I was so disgusted that I didn’t watch the first half. I’m glad I watched the second half, though. Jeff Woody was my hero for at least a week after that game. Every time I see a poster or picture of the crowd on the field after the game, I get goose bumps. Nothing quite like Friday Night Lights at Jack Trice, or so I’ve heard (arms crossed, staring at computer, head shaking…sigh).

2. Texas Tech 39, Texas 33 (2008)
Graham Harrell to Michael Crabtree was an insane combination to begin with, but on this play they stepped into legendary status. I remember lying on my living room couch with all the lights off. Everyone in my house was asleep. After Crabtree tip-toed the sideline and scored, I remember just throwing my arms up in the air. I just wanted Tech to win so badly because I was not fond of Colt McCoy. I don’t even know why I was so happy. Maybe it was because I thought I was the only one watching. Maybe it was because I had never seen a play quite like that before, especially with the game hanging in the balance. To break free of two Texas tacklers and score with one second left to beat #1 Texas, I just thought it was pretty sweet.

1. Iowa 30, LSU 25 (2005)
Time winding down, I’m 12 years old. I remember I had some type of Hawkeye jersey on and that I had watched the entire game. Gary Dolphin’s voice was on a radio behind me while I faced the TV in my living room (this list just made me remember my living room: 1. Holds a lot of great sports memories and 2. Needs a bigger TV). Hawks were around mid-field with under 20 seconds and one time out left. “We can tie here with a field goal. Just go 20 yards, call a time out, kick it, and win.” That’s what I was thinking anyway. Then I remember the Hawks going to the line of scrimmage with Dolphin in the background saying, “Tate doesn’t see the clock. THEY HAVE A TIME OUT LEFT!” And then, it happened. Drew Tate dropped and threw to a wide open Warren Holloway, who ran to the end zone with no time left. Everyone home was watching this game and screams filled the house. I remember slapping hands with my dad, mom, and brother, feeling like I had escaped death. The perfect way to end an Iowa bowl game. Since then, Kirk Ferentz has not called a play designed to make over 40 yards. That play became the front screen video of every phone I owned until I was 17. Also, if you watch the video, Ed Hinkel had the biggest block in the back on an LSU cornerback that I have ever seen right behind Holloway after he catches the ball. There was no flag. You know what I call that? Destiny.

Well, there are my Fab 5 College Football games. My boy, Chuckie, and Utah State almost pulled off another great victory against Wisconsin. Like I said, anyone named Chuckie can ball. Stanford knocks off USC and, as always, with Gus Johnson calling the game (Stanford vs USC), it is bound to be close. He is the best March Madness commentator of all-time, and EVERY game he does is close. Thanks again for reading everybody. Remember, @Gdeuce1two, follow it.

Helmet Sicker: Stepfan Taylor, Stanford RB: Two touchdowns as Stanford wins 4 in a row against USC

College Jerseys of the Week: Arizona State (Rutgers in a close 2nd)

Fantasy Beast of the Week: Victor Cruz (38 points in my PPR league)

Patriots 24, Ravens 21

Seneca Wallace Doing Work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gPOl_F8HQ

Photo by Makensie Brown