Men’s basketball in full throttle

Mens basketball in full throttle

Ashley Lage | Contributing Writer

As fall seems to be rolling in, and October seems to be approaching quickly, the Buena Vista University (BVU) men’s basketball team has already been hard at work. Although practice does not start until October 15th, the team is always playing a few pick-up games in the Lamberti Recreational Center until then.

The men’s basketball team is determined to have another successful season. In order to do so, they have all been hard at work during the off-season.

“We have been working out five times a week, conditioning, playing pick-up ball, and weight lifting. We have been working hard since last spring and have come back ready to build off last year’s success. We are motivated and pushing each other to stay at the top of the conference,” senior Wes Nordquist said.

Last year the team had success all around, but beating Coe in a thriller to win the bid for the national tournament was by far one of the biggest. Seven seniors were a strong part of that team.

“It will be a challenge to replace [the seniors], but we have a lot of very talented players that are more than ready to step up,” junior Michael Kaufman said.

Head Men’s Basketball Coach Brian Van Haaften also commented on the loss of the seniors and shared the team’s motto.

“The faces may change, but the results stay the same,” Van Haaften said.

The new players will not be the only new faces on the team this year. Jon Millea, a former Beaver basketball player, has taken over the job as the assistant coach.

“He understands what the program is all about. He lived it, and now he will lead it, and he will do a great job,” Van Haaften said.

The team this year will need to rely on the experience and leadership of those who were a part of the winning program last year.

“All of us seniors have been working together collectively to create our workouts for our team this offseason. Being a leader is earning your teammates respect, and all of us seniors plan on using our leadership on the court by outworking our opponents, playing with confidence, and showing the younger guys what it takes to be successful on and off the court,” Nordquist said.

“These last two years have really taught me a lot about the kind of work and understanding it takes to be successful at this level, and coming off our first round exit last year, I think that experience has made our team that much more determined to go even further this year,” Kaufman said.

The basketball team looks to be strong this year. Make sure to come out and support them in the Beaver Den when the season gets going.

Photos by Kyle Shade
[nivoslider id=”4709″]