How to prepare for Election Day

Laura Schachtner | News Co-Editor

With Election Day fast approaching, students should be taking steps towards getting registered and thinking about how they plan on voting. Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Student Association of Social Workers (SASW) is currently helping students register. Anyone wishing to register can pick up a form from any senior social work major.

“As social work students, part of our work is to organize in the community and make sure people have a voice to impact decisions that affect them and help them learn how to use their voice. Registering people to vote is a good way to do that,” Assistant Professor of Social Work Ellen Holmgren said.

Students can also register online – just download this form, fill out the information, and mail it to the auditor of the county you wish to register in. Students registered in Buena Vista county can vote at Chautauqua Park on Election Day.

Absentee ballots are available for students who will not be able to vote in their respective counties. Absentee ballot request forms can be downloaded from the Secretary of State’s website and mailed to students’ respective county auditors. The deadline to request an absentee ballot is Friday, Nov. 2, and they must be post-marked by Nov. 5 when being mailed back.

Students can also take advantage of satellite voting. Polls will be set up in Siebens Forum, Conference Room 9 on Tuesday, Oct. 23 and Wednesday, Oct. 24 from noon to 6 p.m.

“They just need to decide which place they want to register and vote at,” County Auditor Sue Lloyd said.

Senior President of College Democrats Tyler Reed states the importance of college students voting.

“I think it’s very important. I definitely think it’s part of all of our civic duties. We have as much on the line as people twice our age,” Reed said.

Rates on student loans are one example.

“It truly does make a difference. The people in office in Washington make a big difference on whether or not you’ll be paying more money back,” Holmgren said.

Reed emphasizes that students can vote for members of more than one party on the same ballot.

“It often seems it’s always the Republicans and Democrats clashing with each other, but you can vote a mixed ballot. Think of it on an individual basis,” Reed said. “Focus on their ideas and their plans.”

Associate Professor of Political Science and Social Sciences Brad Best offers additional advice for students new to voting.

“I think it’s important to consult as many sources of campaign information as possible.,” Best said. “Make your search for campaign information as diverse as possible in terms of the media that you tap into, and then choose a candidate whose positions on the issues of greatest importance to you align most closely with your personal positions. College-age voters really are in a position to make an impact.”

Graphic by Krystal Schulte