Caitlin Clark is cool, but I still don’t care about sports.
The Forgotten Member of the Five Freedoms

Phelps on social media offense

Phelps on social media offense

Bailey Schafbuch | Sports Co-Editor

Steven Phelps, a 2005 graduate of Buena Vista University (BVU), is currently serving in his sixth year as Sports Information Director (SID) and is truly enjoying his position at the D3 level.

Beginning his college career, Phelps was more interested in the communications and broadcasting side of things. After having the opportunity to spend many hours during his four years at BVU in the sports information office through internships and work study, Phelps realized he had more of a passion for the Public Relations aspect of communication.

“Being able to get that hands on experience while I was here [in college] has made my position a lot easier as I move forward. That experience alone pushed me along in the path I wanted to go,” Phelps said.

In between graduation and returning to his roots at BVU, Phelps was an assistant at the University of West Alabama for one year and also served as Grinnell’s Sports Information Director for one year.

Phelps takes on a wide range of job responsibilities in his position. These duties include the assumed ones such as keeping the website up-to-date on a daily basis and getting the information out to the media. Concerning getting information to the media, Phelps creates and releases an average of 10-12 press releases per week. An average press release takes him about thirty minutes to write up and send off.

“Steven does an awesome job of making sports stories interesting and very informational. They are always online within hours of an event,” sophomore volleyball player Kirsten Van Zuiden said.

Phelps also follows the multiple contests and other recognitions BVU athletics may receive. He takes care of the Athletic Department’s social media, which is a large and timely duty when publicizing the information for the fans and community. As far as more unnoticed duties, he coordinates his own work study students to ensure he has help to keep statistics and web stream the home competitions.

“Steven is instrumental to the Athletics Department. He provides all first-hand publicity for the department. All press releases, twitter updates, BVU bi-weekly updates, and any additional information presented on the web site are at the hands of Steven,” BVU’s Athletic Director Christyn Abaray said.

Communication and organization are key skills Phelps has to possess in order to keep up in the fast-paced sports information world. Communication is necessary when talking with the media and maintaining good relationships with the coaches, athletes, and the Athletics Department as a whole. Phelps also invests a generous amount of time to his position.

“I have to work a lot of crazy, long hours. I’m going to be here when a lot of people aren’t so I have to have that dedication and passion for this kind of job. Having an interest and a love of sports makes things so much easier,” Phelps said.

Phelps claims that his favorite part of his job is attending the games himself.,

“My favorite part of the job is actually attending all the games. I don’t have to be so isolated in just attending one or two events; I can see start to finish each sport and see the progress each sport makes,” Phelps said.

As if Phelps doesn’t get his fill of sports through being the SID, he is an avid sports follower outside of his career. He loves watching other sports and especially following the Hawkeyes. In addition to his love of sports, Phelps has three young kids at home who he spends a lot of time with. He also stays involved in the community through his leadership as President of the local Kiwanis club.

Photo courtesy of Steven Phelps