Caitlin Clark is cool, but I still don’t care about sports.
The Forgotten Member of the Five Freedoms

The truth behind calorie consumption on Turkey Day

Alexa Guessford | Staff Writer

Thanksgiving is just around the corner; time for gatherings with family, friends, and lots of scrumptious food. But how how many calories are consumed on Thanksgiving Day?

According to Director of Health Services and Wellness Tami Laursen, dieting during the holidays is not the best way to forgo those favorite treats that everyone loves to eat. Learning how to find the balance between the good foods and the bad is the best way to curb the carbs. Here are some tips on how to eat a healthy, yet tasty, Thanksgiving meal this holiday.

A typical Thanksgiving meal consists of a few main items: turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, a roll, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and apple cider. For many people, saying “no” to the unhealthy options is very difficult and sometimes can make them feel guilty for enjoying the food they love. According to Calorie Count, “Knowledge is power.” The more Americans know about the foods they are consuming, the better position they are in to make the healthy choice. Here is the calorie low-down on those yummy foods that are so popular among many American families.

Turkey, roasted, white meat, 4 ounces: 180 calories
Turkey, roasted, dark meat, 4 ounces: 323 calories
Mashed potatoes, 1 cup: 190 calories
Turkey gravy, ¼ cup: 50 calories
Stuffing, ½ cup: 190 calories
Green Bean Casserole, ½ cup: 75 calories
Dinner Roll, 1 small: 87 calories
Butter, 1 pat: 36 calories
Pumpkin Pie, 1/8 of a 9” pie: 316 calories
Apple Pie, 1/8 of a 9” pie: 411 calories
Apple Cider, 1 cup: 115 calories

Don’t worry! Healthy alternatives are available to everyone during the holiday season.

“Choose options based on freshness,” Laursen said. “Try eating whole wheat rolls and baked potatoes instead of white bread and mashed potatoes. The vegetable tray is typically the healthiest option out there.”

Laursen also encourages everyone to make time to exercise. It is normal for people to overeat during the holidays, so burning some of those calories beforehand will help counteract that extra intake. She also advises that it is very important to fill your plate with the healthiest options first, fill half with fruits and vegetables, then add small portions of the meat, starch, and dessert.

“You can also eat fresh green beans instead of in a casserole, use chicken stock to make gravy instead of drippings off the turkey, or try making ‘crustless’ pies,’” Laursen adds. “If you overeat on one meal, go light on the next. It’s important to eat until you’re full; not until you’re stuffed. Also, make a conscious effort to eat small portions of those favorite foods, and never ever skip meals.”

Still concerned? Don’t be. Feel free to enjoy your food on Thanksgiving this year. It takes about 500 calories above the normal calorie intake to gain one pound (so eating one piece of pie isn’t going to hurt). Splurge on that one favorite thing and use it as your “extra” 500 calories.

“You will feel guilty if you count calories. Treat yourself and eat what you like, but eat sensibly,” Laursen states. “Friday is a new day; you can start over then.”

Graphic by Keyla Sosa