Another BCS champion

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

#1 and #2 lose on the same day? Really Oregon? And even worse: K State? I guess it just wasn’t meant to be. Now, root for Notre Dame, right? Wrong. I think whoever they play in the ship (if they make it) will dominate. Yes, Notre Dame’s defense is one of the best, but their offense is not championship caliber. What I would like to see is Alabama against Oregon (there is a chance this could still happen). Yes, I would love to have seen a BCS title go to a team not in the SEC, but with K State out of the equation, I’m just rooting for the best possible matchup, and Oregon’s offense against Bama’s defense would be legit. The only way this could possibly happen (it might) is if ND loses at USC, Bama beats Gerogia in the SEC championship, and Oregon wins out.

The most important element is ND losing to USC, who is starting (insert QB’s name) for the first time in his college career. “Yea, Johnny. You’re starting this week against the #1 ranked team that is a win away from reaching the BCS title game with everyone watching and teams 3-5 begging for you to win. Us here at USC have basically nothing to play for in the game, but oh yea, did I mention Notre Dame, yes, that’s who we play, has one of the top defenses in the nation. Well… see ya at practice later.” (Gulp)

In other news, let’s give a big round of applause to G-Deuce for starting Matt Schaub in three of his four leagues last week eh? No one? C’mon, we all saw this coming. It’s Matt Schaub.

Watching some D-I college b-ball this past week got me really excited about the season. Nothing quite like watching a bunch of guys that can’t shoot try to play basketball. (Cough cough, Big East basketball). I was quite alarmed when I got a text during the half-time of the Hawkeye’s game on Saturday night to find them down 20 to Gardner-Webb (GW). I was also quite alarmed when I later found out my dad and Grandpa were at the game and actually played for GW in the first half. Luckily for the Hawks, Gramps got a sore hip, and dad caught a stinger right on the ear. The Hawks came back and won, and I guess they all had a great laugh about it afterwards.

Speaking of college sports, a couple huge pickups for the Big Ten this week. Two traditional powerhouses in Rutgers and Maryland. Yea right. Rutgers most stories athlete is a FIFA analyst on ESPN (don’t ask me how I know this), and Maryland’s most prized possession is reeling in big time minutes with the Lakers in the absence of Steve Nash. Most young sports fans were probably thinking Grevis Vasquez, but did he lead them to a National Title? With all this conference miss mash in college sports, I have trouble keeping track of who’s where.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone. As Coach Van Haften would say, “It’s the little things that matter.” So while I’m watching football and eating turkey on Thursday, I will probably be thinking if I can get Cole Darrow to appreciate one of my articles ever again or if I will ever be able to play the beginning of “Still Dre” on the piano. Have a great time watching the upset of the year when the Hawks take down Nebraska on Friday. No, that will not happen, but will I be watching? Always.

Thanks for reading everyone. (Steph Curry had 31, 9, and 6 Monday night. Just saying.)

Photo by Makensie Brown