Caitlin Clark is cool, but I still don’t care about sports.
The Forgotten Member of the Five Freedoms

FACES showcases student art

Jennifer Galm | Staff Writer

Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to see your creative work published in a magazine? If the right side of your brain has been working in high gear, and you need a way to showcase your work, it’s time to put the last brushstrokes on that painting, do a final draft of that short story, tweak that amazing photograph you took on your interim trip, and enter them in the 2013 edition of FACES magazine.

FACES, Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Literary and Fine Arts magazine, is a publication that has been produced for almost twenty years. It is now taking submissions for the upcoming issue. Dr. Annamaria Formichella-Elsden, Professor of English and faculty advisor to the student-led magazine, explained that getting work published could be a great benefit to students.

“If you are a writer or an artist and you feel you have something to say, this is a chance to have a pretty wide audience. It is [also] a publishing credit on your résumé. If you are a creative writer, you’ll want to build up a publishing history. It is a good place for students to start,” Formichella-Elsden explained.

Formichella-Elsden went on to say that what students have here is a unique opportunity. Many schools have a literary magazine to showcase short stories and poems, but here at BVU, FACES can show-off the work of both those who are creative with their words and those who are creative in the visual arts.

The FACES editors are looking for submissions from students who have produced work including photography, short stories, poetry, narratives, and digital photos of visual art. Any student, including students who are a part of BVU’s Graduate and Professional Studies, are encouraged to enter their creative work. The deadline to submit student work is March 22. The work may be submitted to [email protected]. Please send photos as jpegs and keep the word count for literary submissions to 1500 words or fewer. The judging of the submissions will take place after spring break, and publishing is hoped to take place before summer. Copies of FACES will be given to winning entrants, and extra copies will also be available in the admissions office and the Forum’s Information Desk.

Please contact the student editors, senior Kim Nelson and junior Kaitlyn Christensen at [email protected] if you have any questions about submitting your work for the upcoming edition of FACES.

Photo by Jennifer Galm