Caitlin Clark is cool, but I still don’t care about sports.
The Forgotten Member of the Five Freedoms
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus

Hilton was rocking on big Monday

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

Not the way we wanted it to end, but nonetheless, a terrific season accomplished by the Beaver men’s basketball team. An honorable mention to all this year’s seniors: Troy Ticknor, Tyler Pleiss, Kyle Hooks, Max Burgeson, and Wesley Nordquist. All great players and even better people. All of the basketball team members learned a ton from these guys. This campus will be different without them next year. Thanks for all you’ve done, guys. #MuchLove

Really great to see Hilton rocking on Big Monday. They need to finish that game, and it’s probably a one way ticket to the Big Dance. The Mayor really is an outstanding coach. Gosh, they had that game! This Cyclone’s team has gotten much better throughout the year, and if they make it to March, they will be a tough out.

One thing I’m glad I did not get to see was the collapse of the Hawks down in Lincoln on Saturday. The Hawks just cannot finish games this year, and this loss will cost them a chance to play in the Big Dance. How you lose to Nebraska is way beyond me. As I’ve been quoted saying this entire year about the Hawks: “Next year is our year.”

Any bets on how long I’ll follow the Cubs this season? I got an update after their first spring training game, and to my surprise, it was a victory. Us Cubs fans, we treasure those moments; they only happen about 70 times a year (or less). I’ll give it until I watch them for a couple innings or they start off about 6-16, and then I’ll pull the trigger. Who knows? Maybe they will be the Cinderella story this year and go about 85-77 and sneak into the playoffs (insert every knowledgeable MLB fan moving their mouse toward the red “X”). You’re right, guys; it’s the Cubs.

Random thought: How great are “This is SportsCenter” commercials?

Back to live action, I’m not going to say anything about the Warriors and their couple of national television appearances coming up. I will also not mention how awesome Jarret Jack has been playing lately and how right now he is probably one of my top five favorite NBA players. If you think I’m joking, look up his stats in the past three or four games. Yeah. Pretty good.

Turned the television on Sunday morning and to my delight, on came the NFL combine. I’m not a huge draft or combine enthusiast, but I do always wonder if there is any possible way I could ever look like some of those guys look. Just plain freaks of nature, and they’re fast: really fast. I did spare a quick laugh when Iowa QB James VandenBerg ran his 40 yard dash. My laugh did not come from his 4.9 effort; instead, it was the fact that he was wearing a loose, regular t-shirt. Every other athlete on that field wears the tightest, most revealing piece of Under Armour they can find, and our boy James just has t-shirt. (I’m not sure, but I thought I had seen my dad in the exact same t-shirt about two months ago). I thought it was classic and might have been the best decision James made all year. Ouch.

Thanks for reading! Everyone make sure to check out the BVU men’s tennis team at their home meet this weekend in the Lamberti Recreation Center located inside Siebens Fieldhouse. Ladies, I can’t promise much, but lately I’ve seen some of them doing curls in the weight room…

Good luck to the Beavers baseball and softball teams as they begin competitive play this weekend. No pressure, but we are all counting on you.