Beavers end great season with tough loss

Courtney Van Haaften | Sports Co-Editor

[nivoslider id=”9418″]

The Buena Vista University (BVU) men’s basketball team, which earned a share of the conference title, came up short in the conference tournament semi-finals this past week.

The Beavers lost a close game to the now tournament champions, the University of Dubuque, with a score of 64-61. With the closing of the season, the all-conference selections came out for the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC). Senior Wes Nordquist was named to the first team, junior Cole Darrow to the second, and senior Troy Ticknor earned an honorable mention accolade. This is the fifth straight season that the Beaver men have had at least two first or second team performers.

“Wes was an honorable mention his first year, and he has earned the first-team selection his last three years which shows how successful his career has been,” Head Coach Brian Van Haaften said.

All would agree that this season was a great one. The Beavers consider themselves to be some of the best fans in the league and boast an even better student section nicknamed the Beaver Den. Winning a share of the conference was exciting for all involved, but after qualifying for the national tournament last year, the team had even higher expectations and goals.

“We had a very successful year. Winning the conference championship was a great accomplishment. The season ended in a way that we didn’t want it to, but getting rings and putting up a banner is still a great season,” Darrow said.

Nordquist echoed the same feelings.

“We had a great regular season and earned a first round bye which was one of our goals, but [we] came up short in the tournament which was disappointing. It’s been an honor to be a part of the team and represent the university. We have a great group of guys who make it fun,” Nordquist said.

This year, there were five seniors on the team. Max Burgeson, Kyle Hooks, Wes Nordquist, Tyler Pleiss, and Troy Ticknor all contributed greatly to the success of the team this season. These five seniors were very well liked and respected by the entire team and showed great leadership.

“Our team is going to miss the seniors a lot. They were great guys, awesome players, and even better friends. We are going to have to fill some spots next year because they are leaving, but I think we are capable of doing that,” Darrow said.

“The seniors were great to have around. Each and every one of them provided excellent leadership, they are all good guys, and made a difference in the program in their own special way,” Van Haaften said.

Although they lost five significant players, they have several key returners that will keep the tradition going. They will be working hard in the off-season, looking to improve even more from all their accomplishments this year.

“I really enjoyed the season. Every day was a pleasure to be around the guys in the program. I’m blessed to have these guys in my life. In our league, you have to be pretty good to go out and win the conference, so when you can win a conference title, it’s one of the greatest things. I’m really happy for the guys,” Van Haaften said.

Photos by Kyle Shade

View Comments (2)