Contested books, what does the next chapter hold?
Beavers take the mat for the beginning of jumps and tumbling for round 2 of game 1.
Stunt Home Tournament
BVTV News (March 27, 2024)
BVTV News (March 27, 2024)
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
Stunt Home Tournament
BVTV News (March 27, 2024)
BVTV News (March 27, 2024)
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024

New lights plan to brighten up baseball and softball complexes

Nick Schlect | Contributing Writer

Recently Buena Vista University (BVU), along with Storm Lake High School, has decided to begin the process for a project that would include adding new and improved lights to both the softball and baseball complexes.

Between both schools last summer, it was discovered the current lights for both complexes are insufficient and do not reach not only NCAA standards but high school standards as well. This issue poses a serious safety risk for all athletes participating on the fields. The new lights are expected to be put in early this summer and will provide a more safe facility to host and allow evening games.

The current stage of the project is in getting and gathering all of the specifications for both fields from an architectural firm. The next step is projected to be for April 9 when the selected architectural firm would send out proposals to companies willing and interested in going forth with the project. From there the schools will have a selection process between the companies who have proposed to participate.

The ideal timeline for the project to start and end would be a short two week window between the BVU baseball and softball season and the Storm Lake High School summer baseball and softball seasons. Both parties have made it a firm decision not to have the project interfere with either schools’ seasons.

“The hope is to have nothing happen during the spring season because we do not want to disrupt anything that is going on,” Athletic Director Christyn Abaray said.

This early in the process it is hard to tell or be for certain that it can and will be done during these two weeks. If not, Storm Lake High School has a plan and can adjust for what may need to happen which may involve getting the project done in phases forcing game scheduling changes.

The total cost of the project is currently uncertain and will not be known until the specifications are verified. BVU is responsible for providing 45% of the funds for the project and Storm Lake High school is responsible for contributing the other 55%.

The money BVU is contributing is completely 100% from philanthropic means. The cost of this project will not affect any operational budgets. BVU has reached out to donors and alumni to help secure gifts and donations for the project. The university also has an estimate of the number and figures the project will cost them and have currently raised a quarter to half of the money that will be needed.

“I think the thing that impresses me when we come up with something like this on short notice is the generosity of all our alumni and supporters of BV because they have been very responsive to our request to fund the project. That’s the piece that is most rewarding, is to know that such an investment in BV by people throughout the state and our alumni network,” President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students Meg Mckeon said.

The project is expected to have major benefits and contributions for all parties involved. Though the lights will serve many purposes, the new lighting will provide a much safer facility and playing environment overall.

“We want everybody to be safe, that it’s a safe environment for the student-athletes and becomes something that you all are really proud of and potentially long term can be used in other capacities,” Abaray said.

Players will now be able to see much better enhancing an already very nice facility. The lights will also provide more flexible scheduling options for both BVU and the high school.

“It will also be a great recruiting tool as we have seen significant interest in recruits with the new lights on the football field,” McKeon said.

The lights will provide for more opportunities for the community to host youth baseball games and increase the interest of the sport locally. A long term expectation for hosting regional or conference play at the facilities will now be a possibility with having the new lights.

Graphic by Keyla Sosa