Who’s who in Beaver sports: Weston Foxx

Griffin Truslow | Staff Writer

Weston Foxx, a junior second basemen for the Buena Vista University (BVU) baseball team, has played a key role in the Beavers’ success so far this season.

“Weston does a great job of picking the team up when it’s needed. He understands the game very well and has the athletic ability to go with it,” fellow teammate and senior Ryan Scheetz said.

In the team’s first and only weekend of play, Foxx had 6 hits, 3 of which were in their victory over North Park University, 3 RBIs and 5 runs scored. Overall, he finished with an impressive batting average of .462.

Foxx, from Elkhorn, Neb., started playing baseball when he was about five years old when his dad introduced him to the game. Foxx stuck with it because he enjoyed it, and his dad wanted him to play. When asked about his favorite aspect of the game of baseball, he said it is hitting because there is no better feeling than squaring up a baseball.

“My dad put that bat and ball in my hand; I enjoyed it. He was a college baseball player as well, so it is kind of fad in the family,” Foxx said.

Foxx has always been a second baseman and wouldn’t trade it for any other position. Because it’s the only position he’s played, he is comfortable out on the field and knows his strengths and weaknesses. His in-fielding skills are apparent; Foxx committed no errors over the weekend.

Weston considers himself to be a leader on this year’s team, and Head Baseball Coach Steve Eddie as well as fellow teammate junior Nick Schlecht agreed.

“When you ask a guy to lead off and set the tone offensively, you want somebody that understands what’s going on. Each year he keeps getting more comfortable and more comfortable, and this year is just off the charts, and he’s ready to have a great year,” Eddie said.

“Weston is definitely a leader of this years team. As the lead off hitter you have to have that attitude and confidence which he does. Weston is an integral part of our infield and is the leader and commander of our infield. He is always communicating and in the middle of the action letting everyone know what to do and what is going on,” Schlecht added.

The team will be back in action this Saturday March 16 when they travel to Lincoln, Neb. to take on Nebraska Wesleyan University in a double header at 1:00 and 3:00 p.m.