Homecoming brings some excitement, some disappointment

Homecoming+brings+some+excitement%2C+some+disappointment+

[nivoslider id=”14335″]

Kelli Kroepel and Meghan Harmening | Opinion Co-Editors

In the years we’ve been at Buena Vista University (BVU), this was one of the better Homecoming weeks we can remember. Ranging from an acapella group and bowling to Midnight Movie and coronation, fun was definitely to be had by all.

Monday night kicked off the week’s festivities strong with an acapella group called Home Free. They performed covers of songs for the majority of the show with a few original pieces to share. And it was absolutely awesome. All I wanted to do was sing along the whole time – and I don’t think I was alone in that. It is impressive that we as a school can bring in such talented groups for the students’ entertainment.

I had the opportunity to take part in the Homecoming festivities since my individual tennis tournament that was supposed to take place that weekend was canceled due to poor weather conditions. The first activity that I was able to attend was the volleyball match against Coe the Tuesday night during homecoming week. We didn’t end up winning, but the match was still exciting from beginning to end. The volleyball team has definitely improved and their matches have been quite intense over this past season. Many students showed up to support the volleyball girls, and I enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the game.

When I heard that our tennis tournament was going to be over homecoming weekend, I was instantly disappointed that I was not going to be able to watch Triviathon. The Triviathon was my favorite activity during last year’s homecoming. This year, however, I wasn’t as amused. I was disappointed that they didn’t incorporate as much Twitter or other types of social media as they did the previous year. The show also seemed rather dull and unplanned. I did enjoy the patriotic theme, though, as well as the challenges that involved students running down the studio to bring objects to the Triviathon crew. And of course, the T-shirt challenge was just as impressive as past years.

This year was my first year attending coronation, and I really enjoyed it. I was actually surprised by how great all the performances were, and I was quite impressed by the door prizes that were provided by the Student Activities Board (SAB). I thought it was a great idea to offer those prizes in order to get the students to attend more homecoming events. Prior to the event, I wasn’t really sure who Xclusive was, and even though it wasn’t really necessary to have him there, I enjoyed most of his skits. Overall, coronation was planned well, and I think it was an absolute success.

Despite a rough football game, our boys played well. The fans cheered loudly. Each team was neck and neck throughout the entire game. A disappointing loss, yet the week was still a success in the eyes of many students. Beaver pride is here to stay, through wins and losses, great performers, Homecoming Week and midterm week. We are the Buena Vista Beavers!

Photos by Tyson Domingo