Letter to the Editor: I’m proud to be a beaver

Megan Vogt | BVU Alumna

Many of you may know who I am and a few may not, but I am a Buena Vista University (BVU) alum. I graduated just this past January and I am ecstatic to call myself a forever beaver. Tonight, I write to the paper to not only share about me but to share about being my proud to be a Buena Vista beaver.

I loved my time at BVU and am always happy to sport my Beaver navy and gold wherever I go. This past semester I have started graduate school at UNI but still keep in touch with my classmates at BVU from time to time. Any time someone mentions Buena Vista, I instantly jump in to reminisce about my quality education I received while there.

Just this past Saturday morning, I woke up and had my coffee just like every morning. I showered and read the paper before my day started. I needed to do an assignment or two, but like most college students, decided to put it off until the end of the day. Around 11 a.m the UNI campus brought in visitors. These weren’t just the average, prospective campus tour students but rather BVU students coming to visit for a cause.

On Saturday morning, Andrew Zinn, Michael Boyle, Ryan Eberly, AJ Griffioen, Ryan Petersen, and Greg Sibernaller, along with many packages came to UNI. They weren’t here for themselves, they weren’t here for the glory; they WERE here because they are selfless young men out to make a difference.

Just this past August, Andrew Zinn and I were in contact when we came upon the subject of an old BVU student and now transfer student to UNI, Taylor Jaquith. Taylor was an awesome listener and friend to everyone during this time at BVU. He is currently going to UNI and supporting everyone on our campus. Taylor and his twin brother, Payton, were men who came to UNI, living in the residence halls, with very few items. They knew they didn’t need anything and were very grateful for what they did have. With their mattresses, clothes, and books, they had made it through their first few months as panthers. Anyone knowing these two knows how awesome these individuals truly are.

In spite of that, Andrew Zinn, along with his gracious friends, made a phenomenal impact. This group of fine young men, along with BVU’s Impact Team and chapel members, helped raise money through their collection plate every week. This Saturday, the boys arrived with their arms full of two bed frames, sheets, pillowcases, and other items for their friends.

Tonight, as I am writing this from my office, I am so proud to call myself a Buena Vista alumnus. I am truly grateful to know these young men and their gracious friends and community at BVU. I left Buena Vista University, not only with a great degree but with a fantastic, supportive community behind me; I left BVU being a better person. Be proud of yourself, BVU community, you deserve it.