The reality of college life in your hometown

Courtney Van Haaften | Sports Co-Editor

Courtney_Van_HaftenWhen most people think of the opportunity to attend college, they think about getting as far away as possible to either escape their small hometown or be independent from their parents for the first time in their lives. When the college search started for me three years ago, I was thinking the same thing. What some people don’t realize is that you can have those things even if you go to college in your hometown.

I was born and raised in Storm Lake, IA and attended school in the neighboring small town, Alta, only about five miles away. My parents both work in Storm Lake, and my dad is the head men’s basketball coach here on campus. When I was a senior in high school I couldn’t wait to get away! As much as I enjoyed my time growing up here, I was ready for bigger and better things.

I started going on many college visits to places far away, and frankly, nothing felt right. I had grown up loving Beaver athletics and the atmosphere of the campus, so I decided to go on a college visit at Buena Vista University. If you’re from Alta, you know that your peers frown upon BVU, because it is so close to home. Things I would hear all the time included: “You’ll never grow up”, “You won’t get a real college experience”, and “You’re never going to leave the area”. I didn’t want to be “that girl”, so I told myself I would never give in.

Well, look where I am, and I would seriously never have it any other way. I absolutely love Buena Vista University — the friends I have made, the endless opportunities I have had, the awesome faculty and staff here, and the amount of memories I will be leaving with. There have been several times during my college career that people have made me feel bad about choosing BVU because it is so close to my home. Most times, I don’t feel like I am still in my hometown. I’ve had plenty of opportunities to get out of town for a while; I even spent the entire last summer living in Chicago. Because of attending BVU, I have gotten the opportunity to intern with the Minnesota Vikings, be a part of a great major program, and start on a career path that I know will be extremely rewarding someday.

Another perk of staying in the area is my ability to network. I already know a lot of people in the Storm Lake area, so I am able to get help whenever needed. I am able to keep my summer jobs throughout the school year, and honestly, I love being able to sit down and have lunch with my parents every once in a while, because we’ve always been so close. The stereotype of people like me, who go to college in their hometowns, is that they go home all the time. That isn’t me. I live on campus and I wouldn’t say that I go home any more than any of my other friends do, but it is a nice perk if something is absolutely necessary (or if I really miss my puppy).

I’m not saying that everyone should do what I’ve done, and I have a lot of respect for people who come from places farther than I have. I think it’s great to get away, but this has been the perfect fit for me. All I wish is that people didn’t think differently of me because of this decision. Next year, when I start job searching, no job in Storm Lake will be on my radar. As much as I’ve enjoyed growing up here, I’m ready for new things. I think college has opened my eyes to this and I’ve really learned a lot about myself and become independent without “leaving home”. When I graduate, I plan on moving away for sure this time and starting a new adventure in a new area.

Photo by Tyson Domingo