Super(boring)bowl advertisements for 2014 are snooze-worthy, at best

Alexis Williams | Social Media Manager

Despite the most intriguing, nail-biting Superbowl game in history between the Denver Buckets and the Seattle Sea Turtles, there were a few aspects of America’s favorite lazy Sunday that were even more thrilling. The first exciting part of the Superbowl was the Bruno Mars concert—but I’ll save that for a time when I won’t melt into a puddle of sobbing, drooling, 12-year-old, star struck girl; instead, let’s talk about the other thrilling part of Superbowl Sunday. If you haven’t guessed it by now, I’m talking about the “no! Don’t change the channel!,” awe-worthy, infamous Superbowl commercials.

Overall I found that this year’s commercials were snore-worthy more than anything. I was expecting interesting animations, funny skits, and a plethora of really famous people but instead I felt that many of the commercials were serious and almost made me a little emotional—however, that could have been because my chosen team, the Dallas Broncos, was failing miserably.

But as always, there are a few commercials that really catch your eye. This year I took three commercials in particular to heart, the first commercial being the ever so controversial Coke Commercial. I definitely think it was an accurate representation of America and it was a wakeup call that some people needed. The commercial was beautiful, because it showed what America is becoming, not what people believe it to be. America is a melting pot of different and beautiful cultures; whether native or not, these cultures and these people create what America is—they do not destroy it.

The next commercial that was completely adorable was Budweiser’s #BestBuds commercial. This commercial was awesome mainly because it is just adorable. It also didn’t show the crazy side of drinking, so I think Budweiser was smart in that sense, because they were able to convey the idea that you often crack open a beer when you spend time with your “best buds.” By using the Clydsedale horse, they stuck true to their well-known and beloved association, but avoided the crazy drinking scenes. I guess the only thing I would have added to this commercial was the farm owner drinking a Budweiser… but that would have been a minute detail. Budweiser definitely earned bonus points for having such an adorable commercial and I think they will see an increase in sales.

Finally, my absolute favorite—I loved the Bud Light commercial series where they took Ian and gave him the time of his life. I thought the raw excitement and surprise was absolutely hilarious. It was also cool that the star of the commercial didn’t know, I think that is why his emotions were so much better than any other commercial. Bud Light definitely made me jealous, but also made me see that I should be #UpForWhatever.

In the end, the commercials were more intriguing than the big baseball game, and I felt more connected to the puppy in the Budweiser commercial than I did to Brett Favre. I suspect that next year the commercials will get even better and hopefully use more real people or adorable trained animals. But who knows, maybe the “in” thing next year will be rapping unicorns. Either way, I know I will probably pay more attention to the commercials than the game—as always.

Graphic by Aaron Burns