Grady is back for his final season

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

(Cue “Heart of a Champion” by Nelly, my walk up song.)

Now writing for The Tack, entering his 4th year in the league, all the way from beautiful Moville, Iowa….. Number 22 on the court but number 1 in your heart, GRADDDDDDYYYYYY GALLAGHERRRRRRRRR!!!

What’s good my people? Thanks for checking into The Tack for opening week. It’s always exciting for me to get back on the blog grind and take an hour or two per week and jot down whatever nonsense comes to my head. Believe me, it’s more enjoyable than you will ever know.

I guess since there is about a 2% chance some freshman on campus is reading this (and actually kept reading all the way until this point), I better introduce myself. I’m Grady Gallagher, senior (W.O.W.) Business Education major. I am a guard on the basketball team and I live with Tyler Kastantin (often referred to as “Young Homie”) in the McCorkle suites.

Without revealing too much personal information, I am a huge Stephen Curry, NBA, Iowa Hawkeyes, Justin Timberlake, and Chicago Cubs fan. Other likes/interests: Ping pong, golf, tennis, the Kansas City Chiefs, the Iowa State Cyclones, Golden State Warriors, the Harlan Cyclones, and fantasy football.

Enough about me, I hope everyone had a fantastic summer! A lotta hype going into Beaver sports this year and I love it. Since I can’t think of a better time to do this, I think it’s time to introduce all the BVU freshman basketball players, eh? Just a small note: I’ve only known some of these guys for a couple weeks, so, naturally, everything I say about them IS completely true.

TJ Sterk– TJ and I go way back. Four years to be exact. He agrees that Woodbury Central deserved the 1A title in 2011 so we’re cool. TJ and I are also cool because he grew up wanting to be a 6’3” point guard (just like Steph Curry) and actually did it. Respect, TJ.

Jackson Carr– Have you seen the dude killing it on one of the only long boards on this side of the Missouri River? Yeah, that’s my boy Jackson. Have you also seen the dude throwing down 360 and windmill jams in the rec this fall? Yeah, that’s not Jackson.

Thomas Wisecup– There’s always got to be that “hot” freshman, but unfortunately Thomas isn’t it. He told me he prefers to be called “Weezy Baby”. Not sure where the nickname came from but if I had to give him a nickname based on his jump shot it’d probably be, “Brick Layer”. Keep your head up Tom, 1) it’s nearly baseball season and 2) if you don’t keep your head up, your hair will probably fall in your eyes.

Grant Wright– I once played on the same team as a “Wright” and it was all-right. (Hahahaha. Excuse me, I’m sorry.) But seriously, Grant isn’t afraid to take you off the dribble, especially going left. (Enough with the puns, dude). Apparently Grant isn’t afraid to memorize every Nickelback song on guitar either? Bold move Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for him.

Rob Burke– Speaking of brick layer, geez. If Rob wasn’t a state championship soloist in show choir last year, I don’t know what he would have going for him. I guess you could say he’ll probably make a good coach someday because of that “Will Ferrell from Step Brothers voice” that he supposedly replicates.

Stephen Folkerts– The first words Stephen ever said to me were, “Don’t judge me just because I still play Mario Kart Double Dash on GameCube.” Without hesitation we gave each other a bro hug and I knew it was real. I also assisted Stephen on a nice reverse layup that same day. You stay classy, San Diego.

“Sunshine”– Not aware of this freshman’s name yet because I refuse to call him anything else. You know “Sunshine” from the movie “Remember the Titans,” except BV “Sunshine” plays basketball, probably won’t be the lead blocker on the game –winning, last-second touchdown of the state championship, and has huge Oakley glasses. Props for a brother that’s not afraid to rock some transition lenses tho. #BabeMagnet

Adam Juhl– You know, playing some ball this summer with little Juhl, I quickly realized he’s much different than his older brother. Lil’ Juhl loves burgers, Harlan football, chicks, and the video game “Burnout” on PS2. Wait, those are all the same things his big brother likes………well……anyway…

Zach Martinson– Last but not least, Zach is one of the more quiet of the bunch. But get this, he’s from Fort Dodge and CAN ACTUALLY SHOOT. Keep putting on for your city bruh, somebody’s gotta. Zach and I sit next to each other in Theatre class, so we’re tight. Plus, it’s cool to be taking Theatre class, right?

Well, if somehow you read this whole thing, check back in next week for another blog. You don’t wanna miss it!

Thanks for reading peeps!