Why I didn’t vote in the recent election

Lindsey Graham | Opinion Co-Editor

During last week’s election, I ran into many mediums telling me to vote. I answered phone calls asking who I was going to vote for, and that I should be voting for the candidate they represented. When I walked into a classroom, professors urged their students to go to the polls and vote. Even when I logged onto Facebook, the heading asked if had voted.

I did not vote this year, for good reasons. I acknowledge the counter arguments that I have a civic duty, and the right to vote. Many dedicated their lives to fight for me to have the right. I want the best for my country, whatever that may be; however, there is no way I am knowledgeable enough to know that answer.

I have my own opinions on major topics of debate, but how am I supposed to know if my opinion is the correct option for the whole country? What if there’s a candidate that agrees on half my ideas, while I disagree with his or her views on the other half? Which issues do I compromise my beliefs on?

Maybe I could vote how my parents vote. They suggested whom I should vote for, but shouldn’t I think for myself? The issue is, I don’t know much about politics, and I admit my ignorance. It would take a lot of time and energy to educate myself on the issues and candidates; time that I just have not had.

Is my ignorance rational? Would the benefits of educating myself be worth the costs of becoming informed? Both sides have strong arguments. Of course as an American citizen, I need to be involved with my country and its politics. And I will, eventually. When I am older and wiser, I will understand more how politics work and its impacts on my life.

For now, how do I know my actions will have an impact? It does not seem my one vote will make any difference compared to the millions of other votes that are cast. The chance that my say is the deciding factor is extremely rare. Why would I spend many hours to cast a vote that has no impact, just to receive a sticker that told everyone I voted?

While the majority of my professors encouraged their students to go vote, I did appreciate the one professor that stated, “If you don’t know whom you want to vote for, please do not vote.” I don’t need to cast an ignorant vote; there are already too many uneducated voters out there.

Graphic by Krystal Schulte

View Comments (1)